There is a picture of me at the straw market in Nassau taken during a port-of-call when I was about 5 years old. I look happy enough holding my brand new purse. In 1994 my GM took a friend of mine and me to Paradise Island where I remember us interacting with the dolphins, getting a few strands of hair braided on the beach (we both had a lot of long hair, it would have taken all day to do our entire heads), and playing in the casino (we were mature 17 year-olds). At the time the Atlantis Hotel was being constructed, and I couldn’t wait for it to open so I could enjoy all the marine life it was going to offer. I finally got that chance this month.
A couple months ago my grandmother booked a week for her, my grandfather, my husband, my daughter, and me to visit mid-October. DH had a work obligation come up, so GM kindly rescheduled for the first six days of October. This opened up a spot on the concierge level, aka The Imperial Club, for us. Normally they don’t waste their money on this luxury, but my GP has mobility problems and we have a baby, so she decided that breakfast down the hall would be more convenient than breakfast down in the lobby. A couple of weeks before our trip I received an email stating that the Imperial Club would be closed for renovations during the month of October, so we could enjoy breakfast and lunch in two certain restaurants, “gratis”. This defeated the purpose of spending extra money, so GM tried to change our rooms, but alas everything was booked. So, we tried to see if, in lieu of breakfast and lunch we could have breakfast via room service. We were constantly refused, even once we arrived and they saw the pitiful state we were in. I should have taken some crutches, too, as I had just had an ingrown toenail removed the day before. Okay, fine. So, here’s how the trip went:
Wednesday
In June I lugged my Graco Travel System to NJ, then later GM saw The All-in-One Car Seat, Baby Stroller and Booster Seat she decided I had to have. Now I admit, this is a pretty neat gadget, as the stroller’s wheels and handle fold up into the seat to become a car and airplane seat and a booster seat. I did some research and a flight attendant stated she replaced her “regular” stroller for this, so I was game. Unlike a normal stroller, the reviews led me to believe that you could wheel this puppy right up to your seat. Perhaps on roomier planes, but once we bypassed first class, poor DH had to lift the stroller above heads but below TVs. I miss the days of “Those with small children or needing extra time to board may do so at this time.” At least it fit in the seat well. I just hope the people in front of DD didn’t mind not being able to put their seat in a reclined position. It was easier than having to gate-check the stroller, but not as convenient as I thought it would be.
Okay, so we arrived in the Bahamas to rain, and the grandparents found broken handles on their luggage while I found stains on DD’s brand-new personalized Ariel suitcase. American Airlines does not take responsibility for damaged luggage. Perhaps there’d be fewer damaged pieces if they did, as we learned from the hotel that this is a common occurrence on Eagle flights. At least the hotel looked beautiful, and the rain left a beautiful rainbow over the hotel which I was able to capture on film (digital). We made our way to the check-in desk in the Royal Towers and were escorted to a room across the lobby that is being used for the concierge desk while their lounge is being renovated. As mentioned before, we were again denied our request for room service, so we decided to deal. We would have had to return to the lounge for lunch and other snacks anyway if the lounge had been opened, so this way at least those were more convenient. We were then escorted to our rooms which were next to each other but not connecting. DH and I walked into our room to find bed linens piled up on the floor, so the guy did a quick inspection to ensure everything else was up to par. GM again (see Alaska trip) graciously changed rooms with us so we could have the king-sized bed and they could have the double as my poor GP has to sleep with a breathing machine. This gave us a larger room altogether, so we were happy, but they lost the separate shower which is easier for GP. They dealt. We looked out our window (not much in the way of a balcony) to see Nassau Harbor, Dolphin Cay, and construction. That didn’t bother me, especially since I could see dorsal fins swimming in the distance. DD’s crib arrived, and while it was nice and big, had a fish décor sheet, and even a bumper pad, it was up high while the mattress was down low. DH decided that after she woke for the first time we’d just leave her in our bed, because there’s no way I was getting a sleeping child back in that thing. According to the Atlantis website, “Crib requests at Atlantis come with a "Gentle Travel" kit for babies including tips from Dr.Trachtenberg, a lullaby CD, a nightlight and variety of JOHNSON’S© best baby products.” When I’d asked about this at check-in the guy had no idea what I was talking about, but said he’d “check into it.” I used the restroom only to find what I deposited streaming out of the sink faucet when I went to wash my hands. Okay, I’m sure that’s not exactly what it was, and it cleared up somewhat quickly, so I got over it. I did, however, check the tub, which was an even darker yellow, but the shower seemed clear.
After getting settled in it started to rain again, so DH and I took DD through The Dig – “incredible up-close viewing of marine wildlife including goliath groupers, venomous jellyfish and lionfish, large moray eels, piranha, endangered seahorses, spiny lobsters and clownfish” – to look at the fish. This turned out to be a well-visited site as it contained the only working elevator that allowed us access to and from the pools as there were no ramps, only steps. Later in the evening we boarded a mini-bus to go to The Cove Atlantis for dinner at the Mosaic, which had a very yummy buffet. Poor DD was tired from all the traveling and got a bit fussy, so I cut short my feast (probably for the best) and we walked back out to meet the bus. While waiting I realized I left my purse at our table – I normally don’t have one, or leave it in the diaper bag which I decided not to bring for this trip (I used the backpack part of DD’s new luggage instead – which wound up starting to tear during the trip). I walked back to the restaurant and informed the hostess that I believe I’d left my purse. She looked at me oddly and stated she hadn’t seen anything. I returned to the table to find it sitting there, thank goodness, as our passports were in it. Fortunately, DH and his parents have a copy of these for situations such as this. On my way back out I showed it to the hostess who asked, “Seriously?” Now, whether she was shocked it was still there (not 5 minutes had passed and the restaurant was hardly busy), or she couldn’t believe I left my purse, I’m not sure, but I didn’t appreciate the fact she said that. I consider myself in good shape if I remember my head and my daughter (I might leave the diaper bag, my cell phone, and any other number of items in the house, but DD is always buckled in before I leave the garage).
Thursday
DH took a cold shower, and the tub was still spewing yellow, so I called maintenance. Seems we simply had to turn the shower faucet past the hot indicator, and the yellow color lightens up after awhile. Alright, fine. We went down to breakfast at The Marketplace and were carrying DD, so the waitress asked us if we’d like a high chair. When replied in the positive, she asked DD’s age. We told her six-and-a-half-months, to which she replied, “And she’s able to sit up well enough for a high chair?” I realize that not every child is able to sit on their own for extended periods at this age, but she knows nothing about my child and would probably be shocked if she knew all of her talents. Not only could DD sit up on unassisted at five months, but was able to sit in a high chair in her fourth month. Anyway, our buffet breakfast was filling and tasty, so we left satisfied and took a walk under cover since it was drizzling. DH and I discovered we could have walked to The Cove last night, but it would have been difficult on GP as he didn’t have the scooter yet. We then walked to the opposite end of the hotel and strolled through the Marina Village which consists of various shops and restaurants, and yachts we dream of one day owning.
We all met up for lunch at Plato’s which was a disappointment compared to breakfast. We had a choice of about five cold sandwiches and three Paninis, with chips and a drink. After lunch DD and I stayed with the grandparents while DH returned to the room to work on his thesis. Unfortunately the room was unmade, so he had to vacate when the maid arrived to clean. The rest of us, meanwhile, were enjoying a brief dolphin show at the Cay. We returned to our rooms to prepare for dinner just in time for the heavens to open and the rain to pour. I turned on the tub to bath DD, only to find the water still yellow. I let it run, but it cleared very little. Just out of curiosity, I ran some sink and shower water into a glass, which proved both to be yellow as well. I couldn’t believe DH bathed in that earlier. At this point I ask DH to “bathe” DD with wipes while I lathered up with soap and got in the cold shower just long enough to rinse off (it wasn’t nearly as dark as the tub, and much quicker than sponging down. I got the ice bucket (the ice machine on our floor didn’t work, either) and let some shower water run into it. We took that down to the concierge desk to show them that our water was still yellow. He said he would have believed us, and that he’d inform someone in the back. He told us to wait so DH and I got to hear the laughter coming from the back room. We left the bucket and went to dinner at the Café at the Great Hall of Waters. This restaurant gives you a view of one of the tanks you can see on the other side in The Dig. We requested to sit away from the column (why do they even put a table there?) so we could have a clear view of the tank. We were all so preoccupied with DD that we barely paid any attention to the fish. Oh well.
During dinner GM informed us that we could switch rooms that evening. We liked our room and really didn’t want to move, so we decided to wait until the next morning to see if letting the water run long enough would help the problem. Supposedly this is a resort-wide event. If this is the case, then why don’t they inform people upon check-in, and why does the water seem clear everywhere else on property? I take that back – everywhere else but in our rooms. Besides, I had unpacked, DD was getting fussy, and the vice-presidential debate was on that evening.
Friday
The water did not clear up, my grandparents also had “brackish” water, so we moved, this time to adjoining rooms. It was pretty rushed as my grandparents requested to move two hours before the deadline, so we were forced to as well. This was complicated by the fact that they locked the mini-bar which held DD’s food, so I had to call down to the front desk so they could unlock it. When we arrived at our new rooms our new mini-bar was locked as well, so I stored these in my grandparents’ bar until ours was opened. The new rooms were a bit smaller, but the view of the ocean and the resort lands was beautiful. We asked for our crib twice, but never receive it. I knew I should have wheeled it down myself. We didn’t make too much of a fuss as DD just slept with us anyway. At least we still had a king-sized bed. We miss that convenience now that we’re back home. The move didn’t help the water clear up much, and we lost the separate shower as well, but we muddled through. I just kept telling myself how fortunate we were – there are some people who never have clean water, and even more people who never get to enjoy such a vacation.
After we were resettled we all went to Dolphin Cay as DD and I were scheduled to meet some dolphins. While waiting, GM ranted and raved to complete strangers about our trip so far. The strangers shared how the airline lost their luggage. It’s true what they say about poor service being passed around word-of-mouth. Finally it was time for us to get ready to meet the dolphins. We found a spot on the beach for my family to sit and watch and a couple near by asks about DD. They have a four-month-old at home whom the mom missed. I think how nice it is for them to get a break, but can’t imagine having pumped enough milk for a vacation while I BFed DD there on the beach. DH thinks I made her feel guilty as you-know-what. The dolphin people actually found a wetsuit small enough to fit DD, even if it was a bit big still. After we dressed in wetsuits we were taken to a hot room to watch a video and receive orientation information, so everyone unzipped the top part of their suits and pulled them down. We were broken into groups and finally got to cool off in the water. The dolphin swam down the line for us to pet her, and then back again. She must have decided she didn’t like the end of the line because she only got close enough to us for one pet. We then took turns kissing the dolphin (the trainer teased about using tongue) and petting her individually for pictures. One lady was there for a friend and wanted nothing to do with the dolphins whatsoever. Another lady was frightened enough that the dolphin sensed it, so the trainer gave both of them a break. He then called for Echo and let this lady have another go. DD and I finally went up and, as she does whenever excited, DD started flailing her limbs up and down so I had to calm her down before she could interact with Echo. She not only put her mouth right on Echo’s snout, she stuck out her tongue. She tried to whack the poor animal like she does everything else, so I had to hold her hand while we got our pictures taken. The trainer offered to let me have a go around on my own, so the lost-luggage lady, a mother, offered to hold DD. DH and GM looked on ready to pounce should she have dropped her. I took DD back and the group gave some instructions to Echo for various noises and tricks, and then watched all the dolphins do a few flips and waves. Everyone was surprised at how well behaved DD was, and we were all grateful that DD tried to eat the dolphin and not the other way around. I had ordered a water carrier so DD would be strapped to me, but the guy sent it to Illinois. When I informed him of this, not only did he refund my credit card, he also sent me one anyway. I told him that after a week of little service, with few smiles, this was a very welcomed treat.
After this experience DD was ready for a nap, so I took advantage of this and enjoyed the slides (that were open) on the Mayan Temple. The Challenger Slides are identical slides next to each other that allow you to race with another slider. They have what I’m guessing to be a fifty-foot drop with a couple of slopes. This is completely on the outside. A small slide (The Jungle or something) was closed. The Serpent Slide is a tube ride that takes place in a completely enclosed space. What’s cool about this slide is that part of the slide takes you through the Mayan Temple Shark Lagoon – “home of seven-foot Caribbean reef sharks and nurse sharks,” and there was one shark taking a nap on the roof of the ride. The Leap of Faith is a straight drop down that also takes you through the shark tank, but at a “blink and you’ll miss them” speed.
On our way to the room we stopped to get our “complimentary” drinks at Plato’s (part of TIC), but were fifteen minutes past the afternoon cocktail time, and a mere forty-five minutes before the evening cocktail time, so I’m assuming the bar tender threw away our Cokes. Back in our room the water was still yellow, but we needed to bathe, then went to dinner at Carmine’s Italian restaurant in the Marina Village.
Saturday
DH and I took DD through the Predator Lagoon, Reef & Underwater Viewing Tunnel – “displays great hammerhead sharks, barracuda, giant Pacific octopus, tarpon and the endangered smalltooth sawfish. This ends at the Water’s Edge Lagoon – “Cownose ray breeding sanctuary.” Just as with The Dig, she loved the marine life. We also went through the Coral Towers to The Library to check email. Afterwards DH returned to his room to work on his thesis, and Gp went for a nap, so Gm accompanied me to the Power Tower to watch DD while I went down The Drop, The Falls, The Surge, and The Abyss. If you want a good leg workout, just climb those stairs repeatedly. Each one deposits you in The Current (a not-so-lazy river ride), which I enjoyed on Sunday while DD was napping.
We strolled through the Marina Village as a family, and Gm bought DD a straw purse and a straw basket. We stopped for lunch at Plato’s again. DH was unhappy because they were unwilling to make him the sandwich he wanted rather than merely give him a different pre-made selection. I got him an uncooked Panini so he could take off the cheese which looked disgusting. After lunch we all went to the Royal Baths Pool where, as usual, DD received an audience while swimming, and Gm had to tell about all the negative aspects of our trip to more strangers. That afternoon we went to the bar at exactly five o’clock and I ordered two virgin Mai Tais. We had dinner at Chop Stix which is in the Conference Center between the Coral and Beach Towers. I tried some Asian fare I never even knew existed before, and it was all delicious. We shared the Seafood Lettuce Wraps, and then I filled up on Dim Sum, including Hoisin Beef Bao, Shrimp Hargow, Pork Potstickers, and Chicken Spring Rolls; I think that was all.
Sunday
We took DD to Splashers Kidds Pool where she was able to go down her first water slide. I disliked the water coming up in my face moreso than she did. What was really cute was when I put her in her floaty and she “walked” along the shallow end. While she napped I went for a ride on The Current, then we all went to the Marina Village for lunch at Johnny Rockets. Sorry, there is no longer one in DFW that I know of, so I had no qualms about eating there. DD enjoyed the dancing and singing, and I enjoyed a milk shake. Afterwards DH went to work on his thesis while the rest of us trekked on to the beach so DD could be introduced to her first ocean. Unfortunately, the Atlantic Ocean is pretty rough, so after even a quick dip she was pummeled with sand. I stripped her and tried to pry the tiny shell particles off her bare skin, then she fell asleep again while I enjoyed a virgin Pina Colada. That one we paid for, but my next drink was at five again. We ate at Seafire Steakhouse in the Marina Village. In case you’re wondering, there are plenty of restaurants in the hotel itself, but these were the ones that seemed of interest, and allowed children under six. We finally went through The Dig and caught the petting tank open while DD was awake, so she was able to pet a starfish, a conch (did you know they’re actually hard, and I’m not talking about the shell?), and some squishy thing.
After dinner DD had her caricature drawn. Usually the artist takes a picture of infants and draws the picture for the next day, but since we were leaving the next day he made an exception. With some help, DD was actually a good portrait poser. On our way back to the room I asked about the “Gentle Travel Kit” again, and the lady knew exactly what I was talking about, and said it should have been with my crib. What crib? She asked if we still wanted it (if nothing else, DH and I were curious to know if the nightlight was generic or a special Atlantis one), so I said it would be helpful as we had been leaving on the bathroom light at night. I’m sure as soon as she saw we were leaving the next day she ignored my request as we never did receive our kit.
Monday
All packed up (with the exception of a missing sweater no one at the hotel had seen) and ready to go, after having our mini-bar unlocked again (geez they’re paranoid, or just lazy), and without my two wanted souvenirs I kept delaying to purchase, and now the stores were closed until after we’d left. There were so many things I did not get to do. For one thing, if I had done this trip when I was in college (in other words, single and childless), I would have wondered the hotel grounds and viewed every wildlife exhibit, experienced every water ride, done a more immersive dolphin experience, gone SCUBA diving, played blackjack and a few slots, seen a movie every night, and probably a ton more. I also would not have lost DD’s sweater or my Maya Wrap. On the other hand, I would have wished I had someone to experience it all with (grandparents don’t count), especially the evening strolls. Plus, I loved seeing DD’s expression at the new experiences, like the way her eyes lit up as we went through the energetic casino for the first time, and the way she tried to pet the marine life in the tanks.
All in all it was an enjoyable trip. Despite the problems I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I think I’ll wait until DD is old enough to go on some of the slides with me.
A couple months ago my grandmother booked a week for her, my grandfather, my husband, my daughter, and me to visit mid-October. DH had a work obligation come up, so GM kindly rescheduled for the first six days of October. This opened up a spot on the concierge level, aka The Imperial Club, for us. Normally they don’t waste their money on this luxury, but my GP has mobility problems and we have a baby, so she decided that breakfast down the hall would be more convenient than breakfast down in the lobby. A couple of weeks before our trip I received an email stating that the Imperial Club would be closed for renovations during the month of October, so we could enjoy breakfast and lunch in two certain restaurants, “gratis”. This defeated the purpose of spending extra money, so GM tried to change our rooms, but alas everything was booked. So, we tried to see if, in lieu of breakfast and lunch we could have breakfast via room service. We were constantly refused, even once we arrived and they saw the pitiful state we were in. I should have taken some crutches, too, as I had just had an ingrown toenail removed the day before. Okay, fine. So, here’s how the trip went:
Wednesday
In June I lugged my Graco Travel System to NJ, then later GM saw The All-in-One Car Seat, Baby Stroller and Booster Seat she decided I had to have. Now I admit, this is a pretty neat gadget, as the stroller’s wheels and handle fold up into the seat to become a car and airplane seat and a booster seat. I did some research and a flight attendant stated she replaced her “regular” stroller for this, so I was game. Unlike a normal stroller, the reviews led me to believe that you could wheel this puppy right up to your seat. Perhaps on roomier planes, but once we bypassed first class, poor DH had to lift the stroller above heads but below TVs. I miss the days of “Those with small children or needing extra time to board may do so at this time.” At least it fit in the seat well. I just hope the people in front of DD didn’t mind not being able to put their seat in a reclined position. It was easier than having to gate-check the stroller, but not as convenient as I thought it would be.
Okay, so we arrived in the Bahamas to rain, and the grandparents found broken handles on their luggage while I found stains on DD’s brand-new personalized Ariel suitcase. American Airlines does not take responsibility for damaged luggage. Perhaps there’d be fewer damaged pieces if they did, as we learned from the hotel that this is a common occurrence on Eagle flights. At least the hotel looked beautiful, and the rain left a beautiful rainbow over the hotel which I was able to capture on film (digital). We made our way to the check-in desk in the Royal Towers and were escorted to a room across the lobby that is being used for the concierge desk while their lounge is being renovated. As mentioned before, we were again denied our request for room service, so we decided to deal. We would have had to return to the lounge for lunch and other snacks anyway if the lounge had been opened, so this way at least those were more convenient. We were then escorted to our rooms which were next to each other but not connecting. DH and I walked into our room to find bed linens piled up on the floor, so the guy did a quick inspection to ensure everything else was up to par. GM again (see Alaska trip) graciously changed rooms with us so we could have the king-sized bed and they could have the double as my poor GP has to sleep with a breathing machine. This gave us a larger room altogether, so we were happy, but they lost the separate shower which is easier for GP. They dealt. We looked out our window (not much in the way of a balcony) to see Nassau Harbor, Dolphin Cay, and construction. That didn’t bother me, especially since I could see dorsal fins swimming in the distance. DD’s crib arrived, and while it was nice and big, had a fish décor sheet, and even a bumper pad, it was up high while the mattress was down low. DH decided that after she woke for the first time we’d just leave her in our bed, because there’s no way I was getting a sleeping child back in that thing. According to the Atlantis website, “Crib requests at Atlantis come with a "Gentle Travel" kit for babies including tips from Dr.Trachtenberg, a lullaby CD, a nightlight and variety of JOHNSON’S© best baby products.” When I’d asked about this at check-in the guy had no idea what I was talking about, but said he’d “check into it.” I used the restroom only to find what I deposited streaming out of the sink faucet when I went to wash my hands. Okay, I’m sure that’s not exactly what it was, and it cleared up somewhat quickly, so I got over it. I did, however, check the tub, which was an even darker yellow, but the shower seemed clear.
After getting settled in it started to rain again, so DH and I took DD through The Dig – “incredible up-close viewing of marine wildlife including goliath groupers, venomous jellyfish and lionfish, large moray eels, piranha, endangered seahorses, spiny lobsters and clownfish” – to look at the fish. This turned out to be a well-visited site as it contained the only working elevator that allowed us access to and from the pools as there were no ramps, only steps. Later in the evening we boarded a mini-bus to go to The Cove Atlantis for dinner at the Mosaic, which had a very yummy buffet. Poor DD was tired from all the traveling and got a bit fussy, so I cut short my feast (probably for the best) and we walked back out to meet the bus. While waiting I realized I left my purse at our table – I normally don’t have one, or leave it in the diaper bag which I decided not to bring for this trip (I used the backpack part of DD’s new luggage instead – which wound up starting to tear during the trip). I walked back to the restaurant and informed the hostess that I believe I’d left my purse. She looked at me oddly and stated she hadn’t seen anything. I returned to the table to find it sitting there, thank goodness, as our passports were in it. Fortunately, DH and his parents have a copy of these for situations such as this. On my way back out I showed it to the hostess who asked, “Seriously?” Now, whether she was shocked it was still there (not 5 minutes had passed and the restaurant was hardly busy), or she couldn’t believe I left my purse, I’m not sure, but I didn’t appreciate the fact she said that. I consider myself in good shape if I remember my head and my daughter (I might leave the diaper bag, my cell phone, and any other number of items in the house, but DD is always buckled in before I leave the garage).
Thursday
DH took a cold shower, and the tub was still spewing yellow, so I called maintenance. Seems we simply had to turn the shower faucet past the hot indicator, and the yellow color lightens up after awhile. Alright, fine. We went down to breakfast at The Marketplace and were carrying DD, so the waitress asked us if we’d like a high chair. When replied in the positive, she asked DD’s age. We told her six-and-a-half-months, to which she replied, “And she’s able to sit up well enough for a high chair?” I realize that not every child is able to sit on their own for extended periods at this age, but she knows nothing about my child and would probably be shocked if she knew all of her talents. Not only could DD sit up on unassisted at five months, but was able to sit in a high chair in her fourth month. Anyway, our buffet breakfast was filling and tasty, so we left satisfied and took a walk under cover since it was drizzling. DH and I discovered we could have walked to The Cove last night, but it would have been difficult on GP as he didn’t have the scooter yet. We then walked to the opposite end of the hotel and strolled through the Marina Village which consists of various shops and restaurants, and yachts we dream of one day owning.
We all met up for lunch at Plato’s which was a disappointment compared to breakfast. We had a choice of about five cold sandwiches and three Paninis, with chips and a drink. After lunch DD and I stayed with the grandparents while DH returned to the room to work on his thesis. Unfortunately the room was unmade, so he had to vacate when the maid arrived to clean. The rest of us, meanwhile, were enjoying a brief dolphin show at the Cay. We returned to our rooms to prepare for dinner just in time for the heavens to open and the rain to pour. I turned on the tub to bath DD, only to find the water still yellow. I let it run, but it cleared very little. Just out of curiosity, I ran some sink and shower water into a glass, which proved both to be yellow as well. I couldn’t believe DH bathed in that earlier. At this point I ask DH to “bathe” DD with wipes while I lathered up with soap and got in the cold shower just long enough to rinse off (it wasn’t nearly as dark as the tub, and much quicker than sponging down. I got the ice bucket (the ice machine on our floor didn’t work, either) and let some shower water run into it. We took that down to the concierge desk to show them that our water was still yellow. He said he would have believed us, and that he’d inform someone in the back. He told us to wait so DH and I got to hear the laughter coming from the back room. We left the bucket and went to dinner at the Café at the Great Hall of Waters. This restaurant gives you a view of one of the tanks you can see on the other side in The Dig. We requested to sit away from the column (why do they even put a table there?) so we could have a clear view of the tank. We were all so preoccupied with DD that we barely paid any attention to the fish. Oh well.
During dinner GM informed us that we could switch rooms that evening. We liked our room and really didn’t want to move, so we decided to wait until the next morning to see if letting the water run long enough would help the problem. Supposedly this is a resort-wide event. If this is the case, then why don’t they inform people upon check-in, and why does the water seem clear everywhere else on property? I take that back – everywhere else but in our rooms. Besides, I had unpacked, DD was getting fussy, and the vice-presidential debate was on that evening.
Friday
The water did not clear up, my grandparents also had “brackish” water, so we moved, this time to adjoining rooms. It was pretty rushed as my grandparents requested to move two hours before the deadline, so we were forced to as well. This was complicated by the fact that they locked the mini-bar which held DD’s food, so I had to call down to the front desk so they could unlock it. When we arrived at our new rooms our new mini-bar was locked as well, so I stored these in my grandparents’ bar until ours was opened. The new rooms were a bit smaller, but the view of the ocean and the resort lands was beautiful. We asked for our crib twice, but never receive it. I knew I should have wheeled it down myself. We didn’t make too much of a fuss as DD just slept with us anyway. At least we still had a king-sized bed. We miss that convenience now that we’re back home. The move didn’t help the water clear up much, and we lost the separate shower as well, but we muddled through. I just kept telling myself how fortunate we were – there are some people who never have clean water, and even more people who never get to enjoy such a vacation.
After we were resettled we all went to Dolphin Cay as DD and I were scheduled to meet some dolphins. While waiting, GM ranted and raved to complete strangers about our trip so far. The strangers shared how the airline lost their luggage. It’s true what they say about poor service being passed around word-of-mouth. Finally it was time for us to get ready to meet the dolphins. We found a spot on the beach for my family to sit and watch and a couple near by asks about DD. They have a four-month-old at home whom the mom missed. I think how nice it is for them to get a break, but can’t imagine having pumped enough milk for a vacation while I BFed DD there on the beach. DH thinks I made her feel guilty as you-know-what. The dolphin people actually found a wetsuit small enough to fit DD, even if it was a bit big still. After we dressed in wetsuits we were taken to a hot room to watch a video and receive orientation information, so everyone unzipped the top part of their suits and pulled them down. We were broken into groups and finally got to cool off in the water. The dolphin swam down the line for us to pet her, and then back again. She must have decided she didn’t like the end of the line because she only got close enough to us for one pet. We then took turns kissing the dolphin (the trainer teased about using tongue) and petting her individually for pictures. One lady was there for a friend and wanted nothing to do with the dolphins whatsoever. Another lady was frightened enough that the dolphin sensed it, so the trainer gave both of them a break. He then called for Echo and let this lady have another go. DD and I finally went up and, as she does whenever excited, DD started flailing her limbs up and down so I had to calm her down before she could interact with Echo. She not only put her mouth right on Echo’s snout, she stuck out her tongue. She tried to whack the poor animal like she does everything else, so I had to hold her hand while we got our pictures taken. The trainer offered to let me have a go around on my own, so the lost-luggage lady, a mother, offered to hold DD. DH and GM looked on ready to pounce should she have dropped her. I took DD back and the group gave some instructions to Echo for various noises and tricks, and then watched all the dolphins do a few flips and waves. Everyone was surprised at how well behaved DD was, and we were all grateful that DD tried to eat the dolphin and not the other way around. I had ordered a water carrier so DD would be strapped to me, but the guy sent it to Illinois. When I informed him of this, not only did he refund my credit card, he also sent me one anyway. I told him that after a week of little service, with few smiles, this was a very welcomed treat.
After this experience DD was ready for a nap, so I took advantage of this and enjoyed the slides (that were open) on the Mayan Temple. The Challenger Slides are identical slides next to each other that allow you to race with another slider. They have what I’m guessing to be a fifty-foot drop with a couple of slopes. This is completely on the outside. A small slide (The Jungle or something) was closed. The Serpent Slide is a tube ride that takes place in a completely enclosed space. What’s cool about this slide is that part of the slide takes you through the Mayan Temple Shark Lagoon – “home of seven-foot Caribbean reef sharks and nurse sharks,” and there was one shark taking a nap on the roof of the ride. The Leap of Faith is a straight drop down that also takes you through the shark tank, but at a “blink and you’ll miss them” speed.
On our way to the room we stopped to get our “complimentary” drinks at Plato’s (part of TIC), but were fifteen minutes past the afternoon cocktail time, and a mere forty-five minutes before the evening cocktail time, so I’m assuming the bar tender threw away our Cokes. Back in our room the water was still yellow, but we needed to bathe, then went to dinner at Carmine’s Italian restaurant in the Marina Village.
Saturday
DH and I took DD through the Predator Lagoon, Reef & Underwater Viewing Tunnel – “displays great hammerhead sharks, barracuda, giant Pacific octopus, tarpon and the endangered smalltooth sawfish. This ends at the Water’s Edge Lagoon – “Cownose ray breeding sanctuary.” Just as with The Dig, she loved the marine life. We also went through the Coral Towers to The Library to check email. Afterwards DH returned to his room to work on his thesis, and Gp went for a nap, so Gm accompanied me to the Power Tower to watch DD while I went down The Drop, The Falls, The Surge, and The Abyss. If you want a good leg workout, just climb those stairs repeatedly. Each one deposits you in The Current (a not-so-lazy river ride), which I enjoyed on Sunday while DD was napping.
We strolled through the Marina Village as a family, and Gm bought DD a straw purse and a straw basket. We stopped for lunch at Plato’s again. DH was unhappy because they were unwilling to make him the sandwich he wanted rather than merely give him a different pre-made selection. I got him an uncooked Panini so he could take off the cheese which looked disgusting. After lunch we all went to the Royal Baths Pool where, as usual, DD received an audience while swimming, and Gm had to tell about all the negative aspects of our trip to more strangers. That afternoon we went to the bar at exactly five o’clock and I ordered two virgin Mai Tais. We had dinner at Chop Stix which is in the Conference Center between the Coral and Beach Towers. I tried some Asian fare I never even knew existed before, and it was all delicious. We shared the Seafood Lettuce Wraps, and then I filled up on Dim Sum, including Hoisin Beef Bao, Shrimp Hargow, Pork Potstickers, and Chicken Spring Rolls; I think that was all.
Sunday
We took DD to Splashers Kidds Pool where she was able to go down her first water slide. I disliked the water coming up in my face moreso than she did. What was really cute was when I put her in her floaty and she “walked” along the shallow end. While she napped I went for a ride on The Current, then we all went to the Marina Village for lunch at Johnny Rockets. Sorry, there is no longer one in DFW that I know of, so I had no qualms about eating there. DD enjoyed the dancing and singing, and I enjoyed a milk shake. Afterwards DH went to work on his thesis while the rest of us trekked on to the beach so DD could be introduced to her first ocean. Unfortunately, the Atlantic Ocean is pretty rough, so after even a quick dip she was pummeled with sand. I stripped her and tried to pry the tiny shell particles off her bare skin, then she fell asleep again while I enjoyed a virgin Pina Colada. That one we paid for, but my next drink was at five again. We ate at Seafire Steakhouse in the Marina Village. In case you’re wondering, there are plenty of restaurants in the hotel itself, but these were the ones that seemed of interest, and allowed children under six. We finally went through The Dig and caught the petting tank open while DD was awake, so she was able to pet a starfish, a conch (did you know they’re actually hard, and I’m not talking about the shell?), and some squishy thing.
After dinner DD had her caricature drawn. Usually the artist takes a picture of infants and draws the picture for the next day, but since we were leaving the next day he made an exception. With some help, DD was actually a good portrait poser. On our way back to the room I asked about the “Gentle Travel Kit” again, and the lady knew exactly what I was talking about, and said it should have been with my crib. What crib? She asked if we still wanted it (if nothing else, DH and I were curious to know if the nightlight was generic or a special Atlantis one), so I said it would be helpful as we had been leaving on the bathroom light at night. I’m sure as soon as she saw we were leaving the next day she ignored my request as we never did receive our kit.
Monday
All packed up (with the exception of a missing sweater no one at the hotel had seen) and ready to go, after having our mini-bar unlocked again (geez they’re paranoid, or just lazy), and without my two wanted souvenirs I kept delaying to purchase, and now the stores were closed until after we’d left. There were so many things I did not get to do. For one thing, if I had done this trip when I was in college (in other words, single and childless), I would have wondered the hotel grounds and viewed every wildlife exhibit, experienced every water ride, done a more immersive dolphin experience, gone SCUBA diving, played blackjack and a few slots, seen a movie every night, and probably a ton more. I also would not have lost DD’s sweater or my Maya Wrap. On the other hand, I would have wished I had someone to experience it all with (grandparents don’t count), especially the evening strolls. Plus, I loved seeing DD’s expression at the new experiences, like the way her eyes lit up as we went through the energetic casino for the first time, and the way she tried to pet the marine life in the tanks.
All in all it was an enjoyable trip. Despite the problems I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I think I’ll wait until DD is old enough to go on some of the slides with me.
Pictures
If you are one of my Flickr Friends/Family (email me if you want to join), you may view our 670 pictures in the Vacations & Celebrations collection, Atlantis Vacation set. For the rest of you, I'll work on making more of them "public." I'll also post a few select on my website page "Family Fun." Most of the “titles” include some type of a description, if incomplete. Let me know the picture number if you’d like
more information about any of them. Happy viewing.
If you are one of my Flickr Friends/Family (email me if you want to join), you may view our 670 pictures in the Vacations & Celebrations collection, Atlantis Vacation set. For the rest of you, I'll work on making more of them "public." I'll also post a few select on my website page "Family Fun." Most of the “titles” include some type of a description, if incomplete. Let me know the picture number if you’d like
more information about any of them. Happy viewing.





No comments:
Post a Comment