Rather than write several small blog entries, I decided to write one long one for the week of January 20-26 with mini-entries.
Sunday: Do Unto Others
I have had very few personal comments made about my pregnancy outside my friends and family. Even I went so far as to comment on how a coworker, pg half as long as I, is already as big as I am. Her supervisor and mine then started talking about how we are carrying, and therefore she’s having a girl and I’m having a boy. Okay, no biggie. Then this visitor, part of a group I showed around the museum, began asking about my pg, including whether or not people have given their opinions as to the gender. After telling her that very few people had, she told me how people were constantly telling her their thoughts, and then proceeded to try and guess for me. Hmmm. Not a big deal to me, but from the way she talked I thought it was a bit hypocritical.
Monday: Good for Bodies
DH and I decided that our pediatrician would be one that he (briefly) and his brother (for about the last 18 years) saw. Granted, I didn’t have to bother with all the formalities of asking numerous questions to various doctors, and this doctor had even attended our wedding, but I had been to her office all of once years ago for BIL, so I knew very little and wanted to be able to officially check this task off my to-do-list. So, DH and I went to meet with the nurse practitioner (she’s the one who meets with potential families, plus the doctor was doing hospital rounds during our appointment), and I’m glad I did. Not only did I learn where the office is, get a card, website (with numerous helpful links), and most of the “must ask questions” answered before I could even answer them, but we were also given a packet with some basic information (such as cord care) and the title of a book to help us determine the seriousness of symptoms so we can decide if it’s a take-care-of-it-at-home issue or a call-911-issue.
Afterwards I went to Red Door Spa for a prenatal massage. While waiting for my appointment to begin I picked up the book the NP recommended along with a parenting book for DH. I then went to Pea in the Pod to see if I could get a few good pants on sale since some of mine are too tight and I’m tired of wearing the same things over and over. I bought some khaki cords, a blue dress, grey leggings, bras for $20, the Childhood Medical Journal CD-ROM for 99 cents(!), and a snack bar. Then on to my massage which was very relaxing. My masseuse said that she didn’t notice the normal swelling or pressure points she finds in most pg women, so that made me feel good, like I must be doing something right.
Later that night we had our third birthing class, most of which made me cringe. We learned about the various drugs that can be used to alleviate pain and the interventions used with those drugs. Half the items shown I don’t want anywhere near my body or baby, and DH agrees. I have a very low tolerance for pain (though breathing actually seemed to help with a leg cramp I had the night before), so it’s DH’s job now to remind me about all the negatives of epis and what not. There are other options I might consider, but I’ll have to check with my dr. and hospital to see if they’re even offered.
DH went into the nursery after class and I followed him in (I think it’s so cute when he wonders in there just to look), and I so wish I had my camera to take his picture when he opened the closet and saw all the clothes in there (and I put in even more today).
Tuesday:Miscellaneous Baby Stuff
This morning I had DH read the blog about his “fear”, which he said was more “wistful thinking” on his part. He’s excited to have a baby, he just knows that we can’t be lazy bums on our days off and spend all day watching movies and snacking. He’ll just be happier when bambino is older and he can share his favorite movies and TV shows and see bambino’s reaction to it all.
My grandmother reminded me Sunday that I needed to go through a cedar chest of my old clothes and blankets, so I did that today. I pulled out my Christening outfit (which was also my mom’s), a few hats and shoes knitted by my great-grandmother, and several blankets knitted/crocheted by her and my great-great-aunt (or is it great-grandaunt?). Both of them are unfortunately deceased, but it will be nice to know that my child is loved by them in heaven.
I didn’t buy a whole lot at PITP yesterday because I have so little time left (I know, I’ll still be needing to wear maternity for a while after the birth, too), and also because the other pg coworker said she’d share some maternity clothes she didn’t want that a friend of hers was passing along to her. So, I scored with pjs, nice jeans, several tops, and a few other odds and ends that will be nice for more casual wear (great when bambino arrives) or can be dressed up with other pieces.
After going through the clothes I received a call from our car dealership – our new Edge has finally arrived!!! I’m tired of trying to climb in and out of our Mustangs, so hopefully DH will let us go ahead and start using this one. Hmm, now I’ll have to go get the seat protector at BRU so I can install the car seat, and hopefully I can have the hospital inspect it when we go for our tour next month…
Wednesday: Oh, So That’s What That Is
I created a “game” on ExpectNet a while back and added a link in my bio, but nobody played, so I finally sent out the link via email to some friends and family and now there are all sorts of guesses. It will be interesting to see who’s closest.
I had been reading titles of posts about hiccupping, but was wondering what it felt like and forgot to ask my dr. at my last appt. While lying in bed I felt a rhythmic tapping that was stronger than the heartbeat, but there wasn’t really an actually kick or jab, so I figured that this feeling, which I’ve felt before, must be hiccups. Sure enough someone else posted a similar feeling that was the result of hiccups. I love the NestBaby boards.
Thursday: Binge Fest
Tonight we had a “retirement” party for our executive director, except he’s going to be the interim ED at another museum for the next three months, or so. Eddie Deans catered, and boy did I get more than my fair share of food. Everyone tells me I should enjoy this time when I have a good excuse to eat to my heart’s (er, stomach’s) content. If only I had as much stomach as I used to.
Friday: Uh-Oh
Oh dear – shouldn’t have had thirds yesterday – gained 7.5lbs in one week. Hopefully it’s just my body still digesting last night’s dinner. My doctor did say I hadn’t gained since my last appointment, so maybe this isn’t such a bad thing.
Received an email about an opportunity to be a model at a maternal-fetal conference where they conduct 3D scans, and not only could I get pictures but paid, too! I’m just waiting to see if my dr. has any objections to either the scan or me giving out her contact info.
We drove our new auto to work today (and unfortunately it’s raining) as I had to load it up with items from the store to sell at Legacies’ tomorrow, and our Mustangs wouldn’t cut it. The power lift gates and power collapsible seats are a mark of genius as far as I’m concerned.
DH and I attended another party tonight. He is presenting a paper at the Legacies’ conference tomorrow, so we were invited to the Patron Reception at an old house on Swiss Avenue. There was a ton of hors deorves (does anyone other than the French actually know how to properly spell this?), and again I kept eating, but amazingly enough did not clean off any platters. At least another dinner was taken care of for us.
I got a bit concerned after the party because I couldn’t recall having felt bambino moving during the day (I typically forget about the kick counts unless bambino reminds me). I sat down with some children’s books and started reading to bambino while caressing my stomach and making other movements to go with the stories (i.e. tapping the proper number being counted). It wasn’t until DH rehearsed his paper that I finally felt some movement.
Saturday: More Free Food
Breakfast and lunch were provided for DH and I at the conference today, and I even got to take home some leftovers for lunch tomorrow, yay. Yes, we love free food. DH did a great job presenting his paper, I not so much on selling items. Oh well. We were so exhausted when we got home we slept until about dinner time. Not an extremely exciting day to the average person, but it’s more than we would have done on a typical Saturday. We did receive a check from one of my aunt and uncle’s who wanted to buy bambino the bedding, so that was a nice treat.
Sunday: Do Unto Others
I have had very few personal comments made about my pregnancy outside my friends and family. Even I went so far as to comment on how a coworker, pg half as long as I, is already as big as I am. Her supervisor and mine then started talking about how we are carrying, and therefore she’s having a girl and I’m having a boy. Okay, no biggie. Then this visitor, part of a group I showed around the museum, began asking about my pg, including whether or not people have given their opinions as to the gender. After telling her that very few people had, she told me how people were constantly telling her their thoughts, and then proceeded to try and guess for me. Hmmm. Not a big deal to me, but from the way she talked I thought it was a bit hypocritical.
Monday: Good for Bodies
DH and I decided that our pediatrician would be one that he (briefly) and his brother (for about the last 18 years) saw. Granted, I didn’t have to bother with all the formalities of asking numerous questions to various doctors, and this doctor had even attended our wedding, but I had been to her office all of once years ago for BIL, so I knew very little and wanted to be able to officially check this task off my to-do-list. So, DH and I went to meet with the nurse practitioner (she’s the one who meets with potential families, plus the doctor was doing hospital rounds during our appointment), and I’m glad I did. Not only did I learn where the office is, get a card, website (with numerous helpful links), and most of the “must ask questions” answered before I could even answer them, but we were also given a packet with some basic information (such as cord care) and the title of a book to help us determine the seriousness of symptoms so we can decide if it’s a take-care-of-it-at-home issue or a call-911-issue.
Afterwards I went to Red Door Spa for a prenatal massage. While waiting for my appointment to begin I picked up the book the NP recommended along with a parenting book for DH. I then went to Pea in the Pod to see if I could get a few good pants on sale since some of mine are too tight and I’m tired of wearing the same things over and over. I bought some khaki cords, a blue dress, grey leggings, bras for $20, the Childhood Medical Journal CD-ROM for 99 cents(!), and a snack bar. Then on to my massage which was very relaxing. My masseuse said that she didn’t notice the normal swelling or pressure points she finds in most pg women, so that made me feel good, like I must be doing something right.
Later that night we had our third birthing class, most of which made me cringe. We learned about the various drugs that can be used to alleviate pain and the interventions used with those drugs. Half the items shown I don’t want anywhere near my body or baby, and DH agrees. I have a very low tolerance for pain (though breathing actually seemed to help with a leg cramp I had the night before), so it’s DH’s job now to remind me about all the negatives of epis and what not. There are other options I might consider, but I’ll have to check with my dr. and hospital to see if they’re even offered.
DH went into the nursery after class and I followed him in (I think it’s so cute when he wonders in there just to look), and I so wish I had my camera to take his picture when he opened the closet and saw all the clothes in there (and I put in even more today).
Tuesday:Miscellaneous Baby Stuff
This morning I had DH read the blog about his “fear”, which he said was more “wistful thinking” on his part. He’s excited to have a baby, he just knows that we can’t be lazy bums on our days off and spend all day watching movies and snacking. He’ll just be happier when bambino is older and he can share his favorite movies and TV shows and see bambino’s reaction to it all.
My grandmother reminded me Sunday that I needed to go through a cedar chest of my old clothes and blankets, so I did that today. I pulled out my Christening outfit (which was also my mom’s), a few hats and shoes knitted by my great-grandmother, and several blankets knitted/crocheted by her and my great-great-aunt (or is it great-grandaunt?). Both of them are unfortunately deceased, but it will be nice to know that my child is loved by them in heaven.
I didn’t buy a whole lot at PITP yesterday because I have so little time left (I know, I’ll still be needing to wear maternity for a while after the birth, too), and also because the other pg coworker said she’d share some maternity clothes she didn’t want that a friend of hers was passing along to her. So, I scored with pjs, nice jeans, several tops, and a few other odds and ends that will be nice for more casual wear (great when bambino arrives) or can be dressed up with other pieces.
After going through the clothes I received a call from our car dealership – our new Edge has finally arrived!!! I’m tired of trying to climb in and out of our Mustangs, so hopefully DH will let us go ahead and start using this one. Hmm, now I’ll have to go get the seat protector at BRU so I can install the car seat, and hopefully I can have the hospital inspect it when we go for our tour next month…
Wednesday: Oh, So That’s What That Is
I created a “game” on ExpectNet a while back and added a link in my bio, but nobody played, so I finally sent out the link via email to some friends and family and now there are all sorts of guesses. It will be interesting to see who’s closest.
I had been reading titles of posts about hiccupping, but was wondering what it felt like and forgot to ask my dr. at my last appt. While lying in bed I felt a rhythmic tapping that was stronger than the heartbeat, but there wasn’t really an actually kick or jab, so I figured that this feeling, which I’ve felt before, must be hiccups. Sure enough someone else posted a similar feeling that was the result of hiccups. I love the NestBaby boards.
Thursday: Binge Fest
Tonight we had a “retirement” party for our executive director, except he’s going to be the interim ED at another museum for the next three months, or so. Eddie Deans catered, and boy did I get more than my fair share of food. Everyone tells me I should enjoy this time when I have a good excuse to eat to my heart’s (er, stomach’s) content. If only I had as much stomach as I used to.
Friday: Uh-Oh
Oh dear – shouldn’t have had thirds yesterday – gained 7.5lbs in one week. Hopefully it’s just my body still digesting last night’s dinner. My doctor did say I hadn’t gained since my last appointment, so maybe this isn’t such a bad thing.
Received an email about an opportunity to be a model at a maternal-fetal conference where they conduct 3D scans, and not only could I get pictures but paid, too! I’m just waiting to see if my dr. has any objections to either the scan or me giving out her contact info.
We drove our new auto to work today (and unfortunately it’s raining) as I had to load it up with items from the store to sell at Legacies’ tomorrow, and our Mustangs wouldn’t cut it. The power lift gates and power collapsible seats are a mark of genius as far as I’m concerned.
DH and I attended another party tonight. He is presenting a paper at the Legacies’ conference tomorrow, so we were invited to the Patron Reception at an old house on Swiss Avenue. There was a ton of hors deorves (does anyone other than the French actually know how to properly spell this?), and again I kept eating, but amazingly enough did not clean off any platters. At least another dinner was taken care of for us.
I got a bit concerned after the party because I couldn’t recall having felt bambino moving during the day (I typically forget about the kick counts unless bambino reminds me). I sat down with some children’s books and started reading to bambino while caressing my stomach and making other movements to go with the stories (i.e. tapping the proper number being counted). It wasn’t until DH rehearsed his paper that I finally felt some movement.
Saturday: More Free Food
Breakfast and lunch were provided for DH and I at the conference today, and I even got to take home some leftovers for lunch tomorrow, yay. Yes, we love free food. DH did a great job presenting his paper, I not so much on selling items. Oh well. We were so exhausted when we got home we slept until about dinner time. Not an extremely exciting day to the average person, but it’s more than we would have done on a typical Saturday. We did receive a check from one of my aunt and uncle’s who wanted to buy bambino the bedding, so that was a nice treat.





No comments:
Post a Comment