Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wiggly Ducky Day

Dallas Child magazine provides parents with the opportunity to share what their typical day is like, somewhat in the fashion of the blog post about DD's birthday party. I've never bothered because they are typically working mothers with multiple children, or at least mom's with busy schedules. Our typical schedule (which my grandmother apparently wants us to continue when we visit her in Florida next month) includes getting up, eating, playing, napping, reading, and going to bed, occasionally with some housework and computer time thrown in there. Now, there are days when our schedule includes things such as bathing, but that's usually because we have Gymboree, Mom's Group, a play date, and/or we're going to the grocery store or my ILs. Yes folks, I live the glamorous life of a housewife. Well, here's what my day looked like yesterday:
Sometime after midnight: Finally figure out a way to link my 1700s relatives to my current Geni tree, and then add their 18 children (two wives) and in-laws, as well as their offspring and offspring. When I get to the point where the notes I had make no sense to me, I finally go to bed about 4AM.
8:30ishAM: Can't get DD to sleep any longer, but fortunately DH is still around to keep an eye on her so I can get a few more minutes of shut eye, if not actual sleep. Crawl out of bed, change her diaper, make breakfast, and watch ER while I eat and she plays.
9:00AM: GM calls to work out details for our May visit. Go over details with DH, change DD's diaper again, finish eating breakfast, then tell grandparents to book the flight.
10:00AM: Make the bed, take a shower, get dressed, get DD dressed, and drive to Wiggly Play Center. I am by no means a fan of the show, but we were invited for a play date and it gives us something to do and lets DD run around without being stopped constantly. During the drive I think about how funny it is that I'll drive a long way to pay to go to a place I don't even like, but I won't drive a slightly shorter distance to play at Gymboree during their Open Gym which is included in our membership. However, we get a longer play period, food (though it's not good), and guaranteed company. DD has a blast, and that's what matters most. Just glad we had coupons for entrance and food. Unfortunately, I spend too much creating presents for DH and the GPs, but they'll love them, so it's all good.




DD liked riding in the cars, but they need to install seat belts.



3:00PM: DD slept on the way to WPC, and it's definitely no surprise that she is sleeping on the way home. I finally go to bank to deposit her birthday check, and unfortunately wake her in the process of going into a drug store to purchase a bday card for my "first girl" who turns 16 today. Yes, I'm late, but I had my hands full preparing for DH's 30th bday. I do not find a card I like, but I do pick up some graduation and Mother's Day cards, so it's not a total lost. Then we stand in line at the post office so I can resend an international letter. While there I notice a little boy wearing a shirt that reads, "I still live with my parents." What exactly is the message that his parents are trying to portray with this shirt? Obviously he's too young to leave home, so is it a social commentary of some type, or proud parents boasting that protective services haven't placed him in foster care yet?
4:45PM: Arrive home, get the mail, have a snack with DD, play with DD, change her clothes (there were a couple of small "accidents" throughout the day), watch the "Hot Dog Dance" on YouTube three times, and get a chance to look up various websites once DH arrives home. Later DH informs me that we will receive an invitation to a documentary screening and reception in May, but our usual babysitters will be out of town that day, and he doesn't trust his princess with anybody else, so who knows if we'll go?
7ishPM: DH hears a noise and asks that I check to ensure Chesh hasn't crawled under the hallway gate again, and our doorbell rings as I get up. Our next door neighbor informs me that ducklings are trapped in our pool. I thank him for telling us, then go to check this out for myself. Sure enough there is a mother duck with her 11 ducklings swimming in our pool. Personally, this wouldn't bother me, but our pool guy has always warned me about the mess ducks make. Plus, I can't imagine the poor dears swimming around until they learn to fly. They wouldn't survive. DH and I try to go to them to help them out, but their mom just leads them away from thinking we want to harm the poor dears. Most of the time they were all huddled together in one big ball, occasionally one would climb on top of their mom. We almost get three ducklings out, but they jump back in the pool, one diving in. I call animal control, even press 1 for their emergency bite line, but no one answers. I call my ILs for some extra hands, and they come over. While MIL watches DD, the men and I don gardening gloves and trap the ducklings between the pool wall and a raft. We don't get all of them out at once, and one even goes in the drain twice, but we finally manage to place them all in Chesh's cage, except for their mother. She runs and flies away from us, circles around, but will not get in the cage. In an attempt to have her follow them, the guys start walking to the nearest public lake, but she ceases to look for them. We drop the babies off in the lake and watch as first one pair of ducks chase them away, then another duck sort of watches over them. We can only hope and pray that they are reunited with their mother.
8:ooPM: Make chili and salads for dinner, watch Charmed while eating (I know, we're setting a terrible example for DD), then clean up and get ready for bed.
11:00PM: Get on the computer and finally finish GP's Father's Day present.

No comments: