Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Who Says There's No Such Thing as a Free Lunch?

If you stop to think about it, this is one of the least correct sayings around.  When was the last time a child paid for his or her lunch?  When was the last time you went out on a lunch date where the other person paid?  When was the last time someone treated you to lunch to celebrate a special event?  I don't know about you, but I've had a lot of free lunches in my lifetime.  The most surprising one for me, however, came this afternoon.

For a number of reasons I had planned to take DD to see the pediatrician, but DH reminded me that he still had my driver's license and insurance card in his wallet as we had attended a dinner party Saturday night and I didn't want to carry my purse.  He is sure I'll receive a ticket if I ever drive sans license, so he had his parents drive DD and me to the doctor's office.  Unfortunately we had to be there 45 minutes prior to our appointment as they had to be across town during that time.  After handing the receptionist a copy of my insurance card (like they don't already have it on file) I walked DD to a Subway a couple blocks away from the office.  I had never been more grateful that I owned a car...just wish I had been driving it that day.  Anyway, I was waiting in line to get myself the sub of the day along with a drink and a yogurt for DD when this lady gets behind me and starts humming Christmas carols.  I hate to admit it, but it sort of irritated me at first.  I'm not sure why, as I normally love Christmas music, and it is December.  Being the polite person I am, however, I kept my mouth shut, and was duly rewarded.  I can't tell you exactly what she said as I could barely hear the words she whispered to me, but she offered to buy my lunch for me.  I was shocked, and told her it wasn't necessary, especially as I knew how much I was planning on ordering (okay, it's not as though I was buying a steak or lobster with wine and dessert, but still), but she told me to not pass up this "blessing."  I asked if it was some type of Pay It Forward thing, but apparently that wasn't the case.  Maybe it was God paying me back for all the doors I've held open and Angel Tree requests I've filled through the years, who knows?  I asked her if she'd like to join us for lunch, it was the least I could do for her kindness, but she informed me that she had to return to work (she's an accountant).  I then asked her for a business card with the intention of sending her a thank you card, but she refused.  So I told her "God bless you, and Merry Christmas," and enjoyed my free lunch.  DD even ate the entire container of strawberry yogurt.  Well, all that didn't fall on her bib or get stuck to her fur hood after it fell in the container.

No comments: