Sunday, March 8, 2009

Deanna's First Birthday Party

T The birthday girl and boy in the middle surrounded by party guests.
Photo by Suzanna Dillard


Sometime after I met Gymboree Friend #1 (GF1), I suggested that since our children were born in the same hospital within hours of each other, we should have a joint party. As the date got closer and she asked if I still wanted to do this, I jumped at the opportunity, especially now that we have so many joint friends and acquaintances. This would save everyone, especially the infants, from attending a second party. Soon plans were underway, and with her complicated pg, she let me do most of the planning. I think I put the effort I would have into DH’s 30th bday party into DD’s 1st since his is not going to occur as I had hoped. While we had originally hoped to have it on the 14th, our location was booked for that day, and then GF1 learned that her hubby was going to be out of town. We were able to get the 8th, which wasn’t my ideal choice (we’re doing a private family party on DD’s actual bday, and I had hoped that that would occur first), but then I realized that DD was due on the 8th, so it was appropriate. Here’s how their birthday party day went.

12:00AM Quickly try to finish preparations for DD’s first birthday party at Gymboree Play and Music. This involves creating “posters” and printing them (along with fixing no less than two paper jams), checking to ensure that all needed items are packed so nothing is forgotten (GP&M has lighters and knifes), and completing the baby book as much as possible.
2:05AM Oh goody, I’m quiting before 3AM. Restroom, brush teeth, and crawl into bed without sitting on DD. As I put on my Chapstick and hand lotion, I realize that Daylight Savings has kicked in, and it’s actually 3:10AM according to my auto-adjusting clock.
4somethingAM Adjusting for Daylight Savings, and the fact that she went to bed later than usual, DD wakes up for her “3AM Feeding.” I think she does this again around AM, but I could be misremembering.
6:45AM Detach DD from an early-morning feed, see it’s not yet 7AM, so I close my eyes and return to sleep, completely forgetting about the fact that I wanted to wake DD early so she naps earlier to be well-rested for her party.
9ishAM DD detaches from another feed and returns to sleep, though she probably would have stayed awake if she hadn’t had such a restless night. I see the time and have a slight rush of adrenaline kick in when I realize that I wanted her to be awake at least an hour earlier. I wake DH who attempts to tell me it’s only 8, and jokingly says I’m stupid when I prove him wrong. He doesn’t want me to wake DD, and he lets her sleep on his stomach a bit longer, which then prompts me to get the camera to snap some adoring shots:




9:30AM Carry DD into the kitchen and manage to make breakfast (toast, cereal, and oj) one-handed. Fortunately, I’m able to eat with two hands while we watch a rerun of Handy Manny, but at least we catch this episode from the beginning this time (and leave about the time we started it last time). I put DD in the swing to shower, and then give her a bath while DH finishes his shower. I get her dressed, and DH blow-dries her hair (cold air); she holds on to his legs as if she’ll blow away. DH plays with her while I dress, I gather up last minute supplies, and then we wait.
11:30AM ILs finally arrive to pick us up. We load everything and everyone in the car, get gas, and then continue on our way to get Nana before heading off to lunch. Just as I had hoped, DD falls asleep on the ride out. We take the long way, and we’re already behind, so we skip Cheddars and go to Quizno’s, which still takes us about an hour. While everyone orders I call a guest and ask her to stop at Party City to pick up balloons for the party. The sweet dear gifts them to us upon her arrival.
1:05PM Stop at the gas station in the same shopping area as GP&M for ice, and then continue to the parking lot where we unload everyone and everything. Enter the building to find the photographer, Suzanna Dillard, patiently waiting for us. I quickly set to assigning everyone with tasks – DH taking care of DD for the photos, BIL setting up nametags, goody bags (extras I was adding to what GP&M provided), and pictures, MIL and FIL helping to set up the theme decorations and refreshment supplies, and Nana to just sit there and admire us all. Take a few pictures with DD and DH, then as the guests start to arrive I grab the birthday boy and eventually his parents for portraits as well.
Photo by Suzanna Dillard
I had intended for DD to wear her frilly pink Easter dress during the party, but DH says she keeps trying to take it off, so I change her back into her whale dress, which fits the party theme anyway, and receives compliments none-the-less. A is wearing the blue “Fun to Be One” shirt I bought him, and GF#1 thought DD would wear her pink one. Oh well. (Photo on right by Suzanna Dillard)
1:40PM I’ve greeted a few guests here and there as they arrived, but now I ask DH the time, and realize I had hoped to begin the class at this exact moment. I try to get everyone to move into the big room, greeting more people along the way; DD immediately reaches out for one of the other moms. While moving into the entry way I notice a cart with two stacks of presents, and immediately begin to embarrass myself. What I meant to say #1, “Oh, this is where I need to put A’s birthday gift.” What I actually say is, “Oh, here are the presents.” What I meant to say #2, “Oh, everyone is so generous, they really didn’t have to get Deanna anything, especially in this troubled economy.” What I actually say is, “Wow, what a haul.” After a few more minutes our teacher sings the opening song, and DD toddles her way from the wall to the center of the room knowing exactly what to do. I share the fact that I created a Gymbo Milestone Bingo for people to play if they so desire, but only a few people do. The hour-long class is crazy, so many activities, so many people watching, stopping for special photos throughout, but it is a blast! I’m glad DH films it, though, because some of it was a whirl, and I pay so much attention to DD that I really don’t notice the other kiddos too much. My family, however, observes everyone very closely, from names to facial expressions. Somehow or other, however, BIL fails to notice when the birthday boy topples onto DD during the parachute ride, but makes his form of punishment clear on the ride home. Meanwhile, FIL fails to capture all the other smiling faces in the room. I understand he only has eyes for his granddaughter, but it’s hardly a party of one.
2:45PM, give or take We make our way into the smaller room for refreshments. We have a cake with the birthday babies’ pictures on it, each with their names underneath, and each with a number “1” candle above their pics.
Photo by Suzanna Dillard
We take turns singing, DD first (she was born first, after all), and I nearly drop her face in the flame during my attempt to blow it out. For a girl who likes to grab the spoon to feed herself, and put her hands in the food, squish it between her fingers it, bang it on the table, and gobble it up, she sure is hesitant to dig into her cake. After some coaxing she finally starts to eat it, but doesn’t get extremely messy, which is nice, although she does eventually get the pretty white and pink icing on my purple linen pants. She does feed herself with the fork, feeds me with the fork, and finally feeds me straight from her hand:

Photos are either by Suzanna Dillard or my FIL

After helping DD finish her cake (don’t want her to go into a diabetic coma, after all), I get myself some veggies, and chat with various people as one by one they leave. The birthday boy’s mom and I squeal and hug a friend after she announces her pregnancy (she’s the third in our group of five who’s been trying), and the other non-pg mom and I vow to not drink whatever they are (we want to wait a few years). DD even gives the second-time-mom-to-be a congratulatory hug. Thinking back on this, I realize that I announced my pregnancy to a friend and her family while attending her bday party. There were squeals as well as jumps at that party.
Not sure when My family and I go through the establishment making sure we have everything we brought, and everything the birthday boy’s mom left behind, intentionally or not. After several trips, the car is completely loaded, and we head back home. DD, not surprisingly, crashes before we hit the highway. We drop Nana home, then head back to our place to unload everything and open presents. I was not, especially in our current economic climate, expecting such generosity from so many people. Even two families of guests who were unable to attend made sure gifts reached us.
5:27PM Birthday’s over, for today, so we load the van with other stuff and head over to the ILS for the evening, during which time pictures and videos are downloaded to the computer, and pics are uploaded to Flickr.
9:45PM Leave ILs’ house, brush DD’s teeth really really well, change her diaper, put on her pjs, nurse her, have DH read to her, nurse her some more, then walk her to sleep.
Sometime that night Reflect on the fact that one year ago today I was pregnant and waiting patiently (somewhat) for DD to arrive, and now I can’t believe she’s almost one year old. Oh, what a bittersweet day it will be in four short days.

No comments: