As a certified teacher, who is currently a stay-at-home-mom, I figured I could teach Deanna through the fourth grade according to the Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills, perhaps even a bit beyond if she showed mastery in the fourth grade requirements. Anything I personally couldn't teach her I could always supplement with paid classes. There were many reasons I wanted to do this, but I was receiving little support from family members. Even though we attend Gymboree Play & Music classes my grandmother continues to ask when I'm going to enroll DD in preschool, and FIL has been trying to find a Mother's Day Out program for us. Meanwhile I feel that DD is telling me that she's not ready to be separated from me yet, and according to attachment parenting will not be one of the children in tears come kindergarten if she gets her fill of me now. I have even been reading a book about at-home parent-run "preschool" programs where a small group of parents will prepare lessons and host preschool at each others' homes once or so a week, and thought that if any of my friends still didn't have their three or four year-olds in an official preschool that I'd propose this idea to them.
Meanwhile, a friend of mine (AUF) has been going on and on about her son's preschool. I view his latest art work every time I go over to her house for a play date, and she even showed me his "report card," complete with written comments about his progress during the semester. In addition, the teacher tells AUF what her son needs to work when she picks him up from school, and there are formal parent-teacher conferences just like in grade school. I was a bit worried that the teachers were too pushy about working on skills, but she ensured me they are more suggestions than demands. In addition she told me about their summer camp program, and after looking at their thematic lessons each week I wanted to sign myself up. After considering various thoughts (I could volunteer or work at the school), pros (one being that her friend would be in her class, so she'd probably be more comfortable) and cons, I decided to visit the school and speak with the founder/director. When I arrived I was handed a welcome bag that not only provided me with information about the school but also books, toys, and even Hershey Kisses. I led Deanna to a table in the director's office where there are some puzzles and toys, so she sat down and played while we talked. After a short while one of the teachers came in and played with Deanna. A few minutes passed and the teacher informed me that Deanna needed a diaper change and offered to take of it for me, if DD was willing, which was great as I hadn't bothered to lug in the diaper bag. To my surprise DD went with her without any fussing or even a glance back. When she returned with a doll and blanket and nary a tear, I signed a check for summer camp and a mom-and-toddler class they have just to acquaint her more with the building and teachers, and unless DD has some major problems during the problem, I've already completed the application for preschool for the fall. This part of me was still wondering if I was doing the right thing, but then today DH, DD, and I went to his family's house. I had every intention of getting out of the car and staying with DD while DH and his mom attended an HMI meeting. BIL took DD out of her car seat and proceeded to take her inside while I was still sitting in the car. He stopped in the driveway and DD looked right at me with a big smile on her face and blew me a kiss goodbye, so I decided to stay in the car and get some shopping done sans toddler. That, however, told me that perhaps DD has had her fill of me and is now emotionally ready to be without me more. Perhaps, however, I should check out a few other preschools in the meantime, just for the free goodies.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment