Friday, March 12, 2010

2 years & 9 months

That is how long I've kept a completely helpless human being alive, including in utero.  Okay, maybe she's not completely helpless anymore, but let's face it, if left in the house on her own for any lenght of time, this child would get into more trouble than a bull in a china shop.  The point is, despite poor eating habits, less than perfect parenting (she eats ice cream, drinks "soso" (soda), and watches "DDD" (DVDs), among other things I said my children would never do), and the fact that I'm at least as accident prone as Bella Swan, I consider it quite a feat that we've lasted this long, with minimal tears, and more tantrums caused by me than her.
This past year Deanna has added close to, if not over, 100 words to her vocabulary, though don't expect perfect pronunciation.  She knows the names of adult family members and friends, and plays well with her peers, though prefers to follow around bigger kids when available.  She will sing a few words to well-known songs and do hand motions for others.  She speaks and signs, can identify some colors (most of the time), pointed to a "tri" a couple weeks ago (triangular shaped place mat), can count to ten with help, prefers undressing to dressing (much to her uncle's dismay), and has even used the musical toilet all by herself!  She prefers to eat whatever I'm eating, yet I haven't lost any weight (darn animal crackers), enjoys talking and playing on the "dododo" (telephone), wants to walk on every staircase she sees holding the handrail, and has fun coloring...with pens...on the furniture, and walls, and windows.  And yes, she still breastfeeds at least 6 times a day, and no, I have no plans for further weaning at this point in time.  Nor do we have any immediate plans for another child - Deanna is enough to handle at the moment.  Er, I mean, I want to devote all my time to Deanna so she can be the best she can be.
Anyway, happy birthday to my precious baby girl!

about 18 weeks in utero

A few minutes old
One month old
One year old
Two years old

No comments: