Don’t get me wrong – I had every intention to, even said so to one of the many annoying people who called prior to elections, I just rely on my ILs to take me, and didn’t believe they were going to vote this year because Hilary was out of the election. Turns out they did go to vote, but Texas still voted Republican. I usually stay out of all things political because I know that I don’t follow the news closely enough to understand all the ins and outs of politics, which is why I hate watching the debates, I rarely understand what anyone is talking about and end up feeling stupid. I really get pissed off, however, when the candidates don’t answer the question. My favorite with McCain was, “I know you’re angry.” Okay, you’ve acknowledged our feelings, even if you don’t share them, but now tell us how you’re going to make us happy. Then there’s the question which should be so easily answered, but isn’t, “What are you going to do to get our education system up to par with other countries?” (paraphrased). As a teacher, I would have said, “I’ll have educators study those education systems and determine which components can be implemented in our schools.” I was highly disappointed with both candidates’ answers to that one. Personally, I think some changes need to be made to our political and voting system. For one thing, I rarely find that I can support one candidate whole-heartedly, I usually feel as though I’m trying to choose between the lesser of two evils. Yes, this one will cut my taxes, while that one will cut my taxes if I’m in a higher tax-bracket four-eight years down the road. This one has a great plan for health insurance, but that one has a better system for improving the education system. Then the question remains, do I vote for whom I like best, or do I do my duty as an American and vote for the person who will do the best for the most Americans, and therefore our country as a whole? Therefore, I propose that we vote not for a Democrat, Republican, or even Independent, but a person who will merely represent the United States of America. This person will be a good orator, motivator, and diplomat. Then, the American people will tell either their congressperson or representative, or the president him/herself, how they feel about each bill, and that’s how each decision will be made.
Sounds tough? Not with my new voting system. First, why hasn’t voting gone on-line yet? Yes, I’m sure each candidate has a website by now, but I propose we perfect one voting website. People register to vote using their social security and create a username and password, so now they’re ready to vote for candidates, bills, whatever. When people log-on to vote, there are comparison charts stating each viewpoint, pro and con, for the mass idiots such as me, who either don’t have the time to keep up with the news, or just don’t care unless a decision has to be made. The information even has links to provide more detailed information if the voter so chooses. One of the many calls I received was, “Can so-and-so count on your support?” Even after stating that I hadn’t done my research yet about the candidate, just because the caller rattled off a few facts s/he was hoping for my support. This would not only provide information to people about the candidates and their platforms, but also eliminate the need to drive to your appropriate voting location and wait in line. That means fewer gas emissions, missed worked, volunteers, and more voters.
However our country decides to continue running its political arena, I wish Obama the best of luck (or effort, as we educators like to say), he’s going to need it.
Sounds tough? Not with my new voting system. First, why hasn’t voting gone on-line yet? Yes, I’m sure each candidate has a website by now, but I propose we perfect one voting website. People register to vote using their social security and create a username and password, so now they’re ready to vote for candidates, bills, whatever. When people log-on to vote, there are comparison charts stating each viewpoint, pro and con, for the mass idiots such as me, who either don’t have the time to keep up with the news, or just don’t care unless a decision has to be made. The information even has links to provide more detailed information if the voter so chooses. One of the many calls I received was, “Can so-and-so count on your support?” Even after stating that I hadn’t done my research yet about the candidate, just because the caller rattled off a few facts s/he was hoping for my support. This would not only provide information to people about the candidates and their platforms, but also eliminate the need to drive to your appropriate voting location and wait in line. That means fewer gas emissions, missed worked, volunteers, and more voters.
However our country decides to continue running its political arena, I wish Obama the best of luck (or effort, as we educators like to say), he’s going to need it.





No comments:
Post a Comment