Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Was I Rude?

Ten years ago I was hired as a nanny/housekeeper for a family near SMU. Throughout the years we have become friends, I was one of the first people to hold their newest addition, and not only did the family participate in my wedding, but the mother threw me a bridal shower. For years they have all been waiting for DH and I to start a family of our own, and I thought I was even given an offer of a baby shower - the mom loves throwing parties, or at least seems to as she is constantly doing so.

I have been trying to get together with the family since September, but it wasn't until their DD had her 8th b-day party that we were finally able to see each other in person. I had told DH how I was going to inform the family, and he never said anything to me about it sounding rude, presumptuous, desperate, or would put her on the spot until after he felt that the mom's reaction wasn't as strong as he thought it would be (though I don't quite agree). Anyway, we spoke with the parents in private, I explained I didn't want to take away from DD's special day but we had never gotten the chance to see each other prior to this. I then mentioned how the mom always throws such great parties, and was wondering if the offer still stood for a baby shower. I thought both parents were extremely excited, and the dad even mentioned how there would be an exchange student and it would be interesting for her to see how customs vary.

The last time I babysat the girls, unknown at the time I was already pg, the elder (14) showed me a baby blanket she had been working on for me. I was so excited to tell the girls, and if you can imagine two already hyper girls screaming in their high-pitched way you can get a glimpse as to their happiness. The elder one went on to mention that her mom would have to throw me a shower.

The rest of the party seemed to go fairly well - we chatted, the mom told other adults I was pg, I told the mom that she didn't have to throw me a party, DH videotaped some of the party for the family, and while the mom seemed to avoid saying goodbye to me before we left, she made sure to send us home with extra burgers.

What are your opinions? I'm wondering if I should send her a note thanking her for the invite to the b-day, the food, and ensuring her that I was just trying to find a creative way to inform the family about the pg and that I'm not expecting her to throw me a shower.

Thanks for your input.

No comments: