Monday, August 3, 2009

What a Rip Off

Last August I won a Harry Potter quiz and was "awarded" 20 free ring tone downloads from Flycell.com. Cool, I thought. I downloaded the theme song from the movie, then Abba's "Money, Money, Money," which I later deleted because I was running out of space on my cell phone. Unbeknownst to me, in order to save the remaining free ring tones, I was subscribed to a package mobile text alert that costs, get this, $9.99/month, plus tax. Now, I'm part of the family's plan (5 people, one phone bill) which goes to my ILs, so with 10 page bills this was not noticed until the most recent bill because we were charged for two months of this package in one. With these alerts, I was sent a text message every so often informing me that new ring tones were available for artists and/or songs I'd never even heard of before, or could just tell from the name that I had no interest in, not to mention the fact that I still have no memory space on my cell. This basically means that over the last year I've lost over $120 on worthless c**p. I can hear DH now, "Do you know how many DVDs I could have bought for that much? I could have gotten you the special edition Sex in the City set. J, what in the world were you thinking?"
Well, I've learned my lesson, and now I'm warning all you other suckers out there, too.

No comments: