Sunday, April 6, 2008

Breastfeeding Help

It took a couple of days for my colostrum to come out, and I spent so much time my first days back prepping for the Baptism between what little sleep I was getting and trying to care for DD and myself that my milk wasn't coming in, and I didn't have time to pump. DD was extremely use to a bottle, despite my constant attempts at BFing. At least I finally found some time to pump, but formula turned out to be a lifesaver.
I finally called a lactation consultant and a La Leche League leader last week to get some help with breastfeeding. I'm sick and tired of worrying about whether or not I have pumped enough, and then there's the cleaning, filling, and heating bottles and parts constantly. DD latched on during one feeding, but after that it was a bust, so I finally met with the consultant on Friday. Turns out DD has a high palate and tongue-tie that is making it difficult for her to latch. The solution: a $6 nipple shield. I've not had any trouble getting her to latch on once since then! Before she would push my breasts away, now she actually grabs them. I still have to supplement with a bottle, but hopefully once I get my milk really flowing she'll get all she needs straight from the source, and then all I have to worry about is filling up bottles for when I'm away from her for any reason. My GM thinks that BFing will be tiresome, but I'm already feeling more energetic.

No comments: