Thursday, November 1, 2007

Iron Wills (and That Darn Cat)

I keep telling myself that I will begin cooking meals from scratch by the time "Stephanna" is born, or at least able to eat the same foods we do. Then I get all proud of myself when DH sticks our frozen fish squares in the oven and I skillet potatoes with packaged seasoning because they can't be microwaved. DH made himself a salad, and I was bad and finished my bag of Baked Doritos. Now, for the past few years I have actually made an entire Thanksgiving dinner pretty much completely from scratch, so I CAN do it, I'm just too lazy. I know, babies are lots of hard work, and I'll do what I need to do, I just hope I can get the willpower to start cooking more like my grandmother did for me almost every day, with fresh vegetables and meats. On occasion I'll be really good and cook like my Aunt Jo who even made fresh pasta. Okay, I did it once and it didn't cook long enough, but I'll eventually get it. After dinner DH and I caught a couple of episodes of Iron Chef: Impossible, one being where the chefs had to cook authentic 18th century dishes using only materials from that time period, complete with the clothes. Now that's Iron Will. So glad we have the modern conveniences of today.

Meanwhile, when DH and I returned home from work today we found Cheshire's play post completely toppled over, so of course I was scared I would find him trapped underneath, possibly dead. Fortunately that was not the case. Unfortunately I found him "trapped" in the cabinet under one of our sinks. He can always get in (yes, he opens the doors with his paws), but he has never figured out how to head-butt them back open if he slithers inside. I bought some childproof cabinet locks about a year ago but never got around to installing them. I really don't have any excuses now with a baby on the way. Since DH and I figured Cheshire jumped his way out of his room I moved his play post around and put him back up for the night before bed. 4AM rolled around and I got up to use the restroom, crawled back into bed, and waited to drift off to sleep. I felt the sheets tugging towards the bottom of the bed like they would if Cheshire was walking around, but figured it was DH who was moving next to me, so I ignored it until I felt the tiny indentations (we have a TempurPedic mattress) right by head - Cheshire had escaped again. Now, I thought everything was going to be okay as for the past week or so he would go directly to his new room when I called him for bed, and while I would have to lead him in it a few days, for the most part he would walk in himself. Two steps back, huh? So, I walked him back to his room, moved more of his items as far away from the gate as possible, fed him figuring that, despite the fact that was a "reward" that was why he came to get me, then went back to sleep. I scared poor DH when I discovered Cheshire on our bed (he thought at first my water broke), so since he was awake he went into the living room where he found Cheshire yet again. Oh my goodness. He put him back in his room (I miss the full size door), hid, and watched him for the next ten minutes. Turns out Cheshire wasn't jumping over the fence at all. His diet must be working because he managed to squeeze between the wall and the first bar in the fence. So, DH moved his food dish to block that hole, and later brought me breakfast. During a "nap" after I finished eating DH and I heard what sounded like Cheshire cleaning himself. I turned on the light, and sure enough there he was sitting just past the doorway in our room. This time he managed to move the fence itself to get out. So, DH and I made some adjustments to the fence, arranged a box to fill up more space, and put him back in. Let's see if it works this time. We're just glad that the motion detectors for the alarm didn't go off with him wondering around before we arrived home. What still scares us, though, is that it seems he couldn't get back through the slit into his room, so we're hoping he didn't leave any "presents" hidden somewhere in the house. He's usually good about only doing that just outside his litter box if it hasn't been emptied recently, but one day I did find a mess on our bed L. The thing that I wonder the most about is, do we have a highly intelligent cat, or a stupid one who consistently does what he shouldn't?

No comments: