Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Preparing for Bambino Part 5

I took the plunge - I went and purchased a baby stroller yesterday - the Graco Metrolite in Delancy. While searching for it I heard my first Christmas song of the year. This got me to thinking - with the holiday season beginning earlier and earlier every year (one store advertised "Christmas in October" with a tree), how many non-Christians are there out there who are intolerable of (other) religions and therefore want to go on a rampage. Sometimes I feel like going on one because I believe holidays should be celebrated during the month they are in, not beginning two or three months prior. And let's face it, other than a few holiday fanatics, the majority of "people" who do this are retailers. I should know - I've been in retail for five years. It really is sad how far from the meaning of holidays we have gotten just so that corporations can make a buck. Of course I say that, but then I wonder if "my" new store will benefit from the holiday season. Hmmm. Don't get me wrong - I love holidays with festive decorations, music, family dinners, etc., but some years I fight the forced celebrations for so long that before I know it the holiday has come and gone and I really didn't enjoy it. Maybe after "Stephanna" is old enough to appreciate the seasons I'll find the same joy in the holidays as I did just a few years ago. That or I'll be too busy trying to fight his/her greed or finding the perfect gift for him/her.

Supplement (2-10-08): I shouldn’t have bought the travel system so earlier. I was moving the stroller to the nursery and just as I had suspected, it was already dusty. Glad I left the car seat in the plastic.

No comments: