I went in for the gender ultrasound today still determined to not learn whether I'm having a boy or girl. I must have been more excited than I realized because I didn't feel the need to go back to sleep after my 6:30AM bathroom break. Instead I had breakfast, did a load of laundry, put away clean clothes, emptied & refilled the dishwasher, and eventually got ready for the day (or maybe I was just nesting - the store's backroom has never looked better). DH had to go on in to work, so I was alone but got to see my bambino's now-cute button nose, thin legs and arms, ten toes, and four-chambered heart which I heard beating at 137bpm. Is it not enough just to know that bambino is healthy? Apparently not. Anyway, bambino is much more flexible than I am and had his/her feet up around his/her head. S/he turned over, too, but the doctor said I probably won't feel him/her for another two or three weeks as s/he's only 10oz at the moment. At least I know bambino is fine, as my grandmother had me all paranoid I had wrapped the umbilical cord around the neck after lifting the suitcase with my new maternity wardrobe on Tuesday.
The doctor was very good - she took a bunch of pictures for me, completed all measurements (dating at 19w1d), ensured all was healthy, and discovered the gender without me ever knowing or having to turn away. She then wrote it down (she said she's 99.5% sure and has never been wrong at 19 weeks) and sealed it in an envelope for me. I took that down to the gift shop and picked out "It's a..." arrangements for each gender, complete with balloon and rattle. I gave them to a clerk along with the envelope and some wrapping and asked her to put it together for me so I wouldn't know what I was having. I offered her a tip but she declined saying she had fun doing that. I then (after getting a 40oz Peanut Power Smoothie) gave the gift to DH and told him to wait until he got back to his office. While he wants me to know, he thinks it's only fair he gets to tell me the gender as I told him I was pregnant. Not sure how he would have told me unless I let him look at the test first, but whatever. At first I was thinking that it was so easy for the doctor to determine the gender that I figured "it" is a "he", but then I thought about the positioning of the legs and am no longer so sure. Just 20 more weeks, give or take, and I'll know, as long as no one lets it slip before then. I can't believe I'm half way through! It's somewhat scary, considering everything that still needs to be done. But hey, what else am I going to do with my time during those weeks?
So, DH has his gift and will tell his family tomorrow (we're celebrating his bro's 18th b-day, so that should be a nice gift for him-still need to wrap those material presents), but now I need to decide how to tell my grandparents. At first I was going to send them a flower/balloon arrangement, but now I'm thinking some gender specific clothing for them to hang on to. I am going to have to enlist DH and the rest of the family to do some shopping for me, as I saw some darling pieces from Janie & Jack's Seafaring Style collection for boys I just have to have if it is a boy as it will go nicely with the nursery, and possibly a Gymboree collection I have, and is just adorable. I might get it anyway, just in case, just like I want some pieces from the girl's English Countryside. I'm addicted, I know.
The doctor was very good - she took a bunch of pictures for me, completed all measurements (dating at 19w1d), ensured all was healthy, and discovered the gender without me ever knowing or having to turn away. She then wrote it down (she said she's 99.5% sure and has never been wrong at 19 weeks) and sealed it in an envelope for me. I took that down to the gift shop and picked out "It's a..." arrangements for each gender, complete with balloon and rattle. I gave them to a clerk along with the envelope and some wrapping and asked her to put it together for me so I wouldn't know what I was having. I offered her a tip but she declined saying she had fun doing that. I then (after getting a 40oz Peanut Power Smoothie) gave the gift to DH and told him to wait until he got back to his office. While he wants me to know, he thinks it's only fair he gets to tell me the gender as I told him I was pregnant. Not sure how he would have told me unless I let him look at the test first, but whatever. At first I was thinking that it was so easy for the doctor to determine the gender that I figured "it" is a "he", but then I thought about the positioning of the legs and am no longer so sure. Just 20 more weeks, give or take, and I'll know, as long as no one lets it slip before then. I can't believe I'm half way through! It's somewhat scary, considering everything that still needs to be done. But hey, what else am I going to do with my time during those weeks?
So, DH has his gift and will tell his family tomorrow (we're celebrating his bro's 18th b-day, so that should be a nice gift for him-still need to wrap those material presents), but now I need to decide how to tell my grandparents. At first I was going to send them a flower/balloon arrangement, but now I'm thinking some gender specific clothing for them to hang on to. I am going to have to enlist DH and the rest of the family to do some shopping for me, as I saw some darling pieces from Janie & Jack's Seafaring Style collection for boys I just have to have if it is a boy as it will go nicely with the nursery, and possibly a Gymboree collection I have, and is just adorable. I might get it anyway, just in case, just like I want some pieces from the girl's English Countryside. I'm addicted, I know.





No comments:
Post a Comment