Sunday, October 21, 2007

Name Change…Again

So DH, his parents, brother, grandmother and I were all in the van on the way to BIL's 18th birthday dinner when he announced that he no longer approved of either name (Stephen Lawrence or Anna Grace) we currently have for bambino. He believes there are too many Stephen's in the family already, and wants to name our daughter after characters in his favorite TV show Dr. Who (Martha and Rose). I informed him that the boy's name was set, and while I was still open to girls names (not sure if I'm in love with Anna Grace yet), he could name his own daughter after whomever he wanted, I'm not a Whovian. Plus, DH and I want to keep Ann in the name somehow. Then DH came up with it - Deanna Rose. Now, if you look up these names in name books you'll get some pretty bland meanings and various famous people, but here's how it works for us:

DH and I are both Trekkies/Trekkers (depends on who you ask), so a tribute to the confident Deanna Troi from The Next Generation works for us, and we still get the A-N-N. When I looked up the actress Deanna Durbin after learning she made the name popular, DH was happy to learn that it was a popular name in the sixties (significance will be shown below). Furthermore, it is derived from the name "Diana", and who doesn't love Princess Di? Also, it is the name of a Harry Potter character, but no one terribly obvious (Hermione, for instance). If nothing else, Deanna is unique - how many have you met in your lifetime? Of course, you don't pay attention to names until it's significant to you.

Yes, Rose is still from Dr. Who, a show scheduled to premiere Nov. 22, 1963, which DH and his mother began watching while she was pg with BIL, and while BIL is definitely more "into it" than DH he enjoys the shows as well, and knowing I'm not a huge fan can't wait to try and turn our child into one. Our much needed Disney tie-in is Briar Rose (aka Princess Aurora; Sleeping Beauty) as well as the symbol in Beauty and the Beast (I love Belle's reading addiction and Beast's library). Then there is Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, JFK's mother. Not only is DH an assassination buff (why else would he love his job as much as he does?), but his favorite author is F. Scott Fitzgerald. Another connection DH made recently was Rose from the movie Titanic, which is one of his & his family's top favorite films of all time. Add to that another not so great connection - Gypsy Rose Lee - but one that still works as not only do DH and I love musicals, but I actually auditioned for the part of young Rose when I was a little girl. There is also a Rose character in the last Harry Potter book, but I won't go spoiling it here.
Check out my Pregnancy Page for more details about the above names.

So, any thoughts on the name "Deanna Rose"? I'm going to post it and see what others think. Not sure if I'm in love with it yet (I keep thinking of Rose from Golden Girls), but I'm definitely open to it. I also like the name "Roselyn" or "Roseline" from Romeo & Juliet, but the two together don't sound as good. And no, I am not naming the child Roseann(e). While I enjoy the TV show, I don't want my daughter associated with any part of it or the actress. Maybe that's snobbish of me, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Now, I know what some you are probably thinking - all this talk of changing a name must mean you're having a girl, right? They spilled the beans. Well, not necessarily. First, I think my MIL almost said that it doesn't really matter because we're having a boy (or that could have been my imagination), and second, it could all be a ruse to throw me off track. Then there's the .5% chance the dr. was wrong, and of course, why not be prepared for the next child?

Now, the only bad thing about all this is I had just come up with a new "nickname" for bambino - Stephanna. Actually, that works even better now. My only question is, will the girl's actual nickname turn into "Dee" instead of "Ann/Anna"?

No comments: