On Sunday DH, his parents and I attended the maternity tour at the hospital where I'll deliver. It's very nice, with good sized L&D rooms, but "intimate" (read "small") private post-partum rooms, nursery "pods," and "Lojacks" for the babies. DH was starting to get nervous about the cost, but after I checked into it and insurance it's not nearly as bad as he thought ($10,000. Don't know what he was thinking.), and yesterday I pre-registered online. One more thing to check off my To-Do list.
This morning DH and I were rudely awakened at five by our house alarm going off for no apparent reason, especially since it wasn't even set, which DH now wants to get into the habit of doing before bed. After calming down from the slight adrenaline rush we slept till almost seven, my alarm clock radio informed me that there was an accident on the highway I take to the doctor's office (today I went in for my 35 weeks appointment), so I decided to take a different route. I was still about ten minutes late. Last night DH told me he thought I had dropped, and at my appointment my doctor said she could feel bambino's head. I'm not at all dilated or effaced, though, which is fine with me - I'm not even full-term let alone 40 weeks. Most people will probably think I'm nuts, but while I want to see my baby, I'm not in any hurry to end the pregnancy. I think part of it has to do with how few painful symptoms I have and how much smaller I am compared to most women. I even had a lady with a three month old comment on how much smaller I am than she was when she was nine months along. My coworker is still showing about as much as I am. Found out that not only do I have a dentist appointment on Valentine's Day, but I'm also going to have a sonogram (OB wants to try to determine bambino's weight), so hopefully DH can join me so we can have a wonderful V-Day.
After my appointment I made some more concrete plans for bambino's Baptism, and two of my cousins have agreed to be the Godparents, so I'm all set on that end - now we just need a date and priest. I should have stuck around for Ash Wednesday Mass, but I was so tired I barely made it home before crashing for the next few hours. I watched A Baby Story - finally a woman who actually looked decent and not like she was writing in pain (and I'm pretty sure she went without any meds), then the episodes of Bringing Home Baby. After that I went to put up more books in the nursery and am now trying to tackle our bedroom and reclaim it as our own (we are slowly moving baby stuff from our room to the nursery).
My cousins M. and A. returned my phone calls and both were honored to be the Godparents of my child. The sad news is that they said our Aunt J. (my mom’s mom’s father’s sister) recently had pneumonia, her Last Rites, and has been talking to one of her deceased sisters. Granted she is 98 years old, but she is supposed to outlive us all. She is a favorite among the family. The story goes that she was in utero when her family crossed the Atlantic from Italy. Until about five years ago, she would cook enough to feed an army, and everything tasted delicious. She knitted and crocheted all sorts of stuff for family, and taught us how to, as well. She never had children of her own, but she helped to raise everyone else’s. She was the kind of woman who would go to the nursing home not to live but to entertain others. She walked most everywhere she went, no matter how far or what the weather. M. hopes she’ll make it to her 100th b-day. I’m hoping she’ll at least make it until I can get a picture of her with bambino – a whole new generation. (Update: Aunt J. passed away February 9. I’ll miss her, but I know God is watching her in heaven, and hopefully she’ll watch over my bambino.)
This morning DH and I were rudely awakened at five by our house alarm going off for no apparent reason, especially since it wasn't even set, which DH now wants to get into the habit of doing before bed. After calming down from the slight adrenaline rush we slept till almost seven, my alarm clock radio informed me that there was an accident on the highway I take to the doctor's office (today I went in for my 35 weeks appointment), so I decided to take a different route. I was still about ten minutes late. Last night DH told me he thought I had dropped, and at my appointment my doctor said she could feel bambino's head. I'm not at all dilated or effaced, though, which is fine with me - I'm not even full-term let alone 40 weeks. Most people will probably think I'm nuts, but while I want to see my baby, I'm not in any hurry to end the pregnancy. I think part of it has to do with how few painful symptoms I have and how much smaller I am compared to most women. I even had a lady with a three month old comment on how much smaller I am than she was when she was nine months along. My coworker is still showing about as much as I am. Found out that not only do I have a dentist appointment on Valentine's Day, but I'm also going to have a sonogram (OB wants to try to determine bambino's weight), so hopefully DH can join me so we can have a wonderful V-Day.
After my appointment I made some more concrete plans for bambino's Baptism, and two of my cousins have agreed to be the Godparents, so I'm all set on that end - now we just need a date and priest. I should have stuck around for Ash Wednesday Mass, but I was so tired I barely made it home before crashing for the next few hours. I watched A Baby Story - finally a woman who actually looked decent and not like she was writing in pain (and I'm pretty sure she went without any meds), then the episodes of Bringing Home Baby. After that I went to put up more books in the nursery and am now trying to tackle our bedroom and reclaim it as our own (we are slowly moving baby stuff from our room to the nursery).
My cousins M. and A. returned my phone calls and both were honored to be the Godparents of my child. The sad news is that they said our Aunt J. (my mom’s mom’s father’s sister) recently had pneumonia, her Last Rites, and has been talking to one of her deceased sisters. Granted she is 98 years old, but she is supposed to outlive us all. She is a favorite among the family. The story goes that she was in utero when her family crossed the Atlantic from Italy. Until about five years ago, she would cook enough to feed an army, and everything tasted delicious. She knitted and crocheted all sorts of stuff for family, and taught us how to, as well. She never had children of her own, but she helped to raise everyone else’s. She was the kind of woman who would go to the nursing home not to live but to entertain others. She walked most everywhere she went, no matter how far or what the weather. M. hopes she’ll make it to her 100th b-day. I’m hoping she’ll at least make it until I can get a picture of her with bambino – a whole new generation. (Update: Aunt J. passed away February 9. I’ll miss her, but I know God is watching her in heaven, and hopefully she’ll watch over my bambino.)





No comments:
Post a Comment