Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Baby Shower Surprise



Turns out my supervisors and some other coworkers have been planning a baby shower for me since December which was held today. It was held during the day, so some of the people who were present had to leave early to return to work, and many were unable to attend, but it was nice to spend time with those who did show – especially a friend of mine whom I don’t think I’ve seen since my wedding.
Another unable to make it took the time to call to give her wishes, so that was nice.

There was a baby Winnie-the-Pooh theme (with pink and blue table cloths and cups, so someone must have paid attention to the fact I wouldn’t have appreciated green or yellow), cake, candy, and drinks, but no games, probably due to time restraints, but DH and I were able to open presents together
and received some really cute stuff. Most everything was from our registry, and those items that weren’t were still adorable, or even better than what we had registered for (for instance, the person who gave us a monitor said the one DH chose had mixed reviews and this one was not only in color, but my work’s IT person thinks he can link it through the Internet so DH and I can view our bambino while at work – way cool!), so it all worked out. We also got a bunch of gift cards to BRU, and one to Target, so we’ll have fun shopping without spending a dime, and those dollars will go further with the registry completion discount, so all’s good.

One thing that was available for guests were cards to write messages to DH and me. Here are a few that were written:

“I pray for health, happiness, and lots of late night fun. Enjoy parenthood, there is no joy like it.”
“I wish for your child…
…courage to live a life of honesty & integrity
…knowledge of being loved
…a great community of friends, family, 7 neighbors
…lots of laughter
…confidence in taking good risks
…initiative to make good friends &
I wish for you…
….endless patience
…peaceful hearts
…love for each other to help you in the hard times”
“Live long and prosper.”
“Lots of love from T. & C. (Your first two kids).” They were in school, but their mom left this message for me. These are the girls I nannied in college and were two of my wedding attendants.
“They don’t break!”
“They poop A LOT!”
“Cherish every moment including the challenging ones…”.


My ILs apparently have some more items for me, but they’re gender specific, and other friends and family members are waiting to give us gender specific items as well. Some people must be sending their gifts or waiting to give them later, because there are items on the registry which have been purchased that we did not receive yet, so that’s cool, too. DH was cute – we received a piddle pad and he had to ask what it was used for. Just wait until he sees all the different items that can be used to help protect things from messes.

A word of caution – pay attention to actual items. One person said another mother told her that her Boppy was her must have item, and she would have apparently bought me one if I was registered for it. Well, I registered for a Boppy type item, just the Le' Cuddler Infant Support Pillow since you can strap baby into it, so similar product, just different brand and style. Oh well; if no one else gets it for me I guess I’ll use one of my gift cards.

No comments: