Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Music & Passion

Several months ago my ILs learned that Barry Manilow was coming to town February 19th and asked DH and I if we wanted to attend with them. His ILs will attend every Manilow and The Moody Blues concert they can, even if it means traveling out of state (usually if they can do it during a weekend or summer vacation), so we’ve been to plenty of both. DH and I weren’t sure if I’d even be up for a concert considering how close to my due date it was, so it was decided that he would go with his family and I’d enjoy a quiet evening at home or get together with a friend. About a week before the concert DH was talking about a program at work he had to attend, and I noticed the Manilow ad on our fridge had the same date as his event, so I wound up going anyway. We were on the floor of American Airlines Center, 5 rows back. Normally this would have been a dream, but I feared I was damaging bambino’s hearing, especially the opening jazz act that was ultra loud. I put paper towels in my ears and tried to keep my arms around my stomach a good part of the night. Bambino seemed to enjoy the music whether it was too loud or not. The only thing louder than Manilow was his screaming fans, and they were just plain annoying. Manilow took one of the front-row ladies up on stage to dance with him. She was so excited she couldn’t remember her name. I wonder if he would have touched, or even kissed, my baby-bump if he had chosen me? You can view a pictures from the concert on my Family Fun page.

Just before the concert began, BIL informed me that he is going to be a Mustang just like his brother and I! We knew he was a shoe-in with his grades and extracurriculars, but it’s hard to not be on edge until you have the actual acceptance letter in hand…especially when it’s the only school to which he applied. They have much nicer packets they send out than when DH and I were accepted. They even send a certificate of acceptance, I guess to warm up the diploma frame:




Now he just has to send in his acceptance and then we sit back and wait for the scholarship offer(s) to roll in.

DH’s program went so well that his executive director invited him to join her and her usual pose to dinner with the speaker. He actually did not get home until after I did. We were both so exhausted, which in a way was good for me because it meant I slept until just before the alarm went off.


No comments: