Saturday, I went to Cracker Barrel with my family for dinner. Afterwards DH, BIL, and I wondered the store waiting for the check to be paid. I found a Magic 8 Ball and decided to have some fun. “Magic 8 Ball, Magic 8 Ball, will I have a boy?” While doing this BIL was talking to me, so the response was, “Concentrate and ask again.” Okay, let’s rephrase it with some quiet. “Magic 8 Ball, Magic 8 Ball, will I have a girl?” “Yes.” Okay, so I’ll have a girl, but is that for this pregnancy or a future one? Or maybe I’ll have a girl fish sometime in my future. I asked again about a boy, this time specifying this particular pregnancy – I got an edge. Once more, this pregnancy, will I have a girl – “Outlook not so good.” Ha, I knew it. BIL thinks I’m silly. Perhaps, but it’s all in fun.
The Magic of the 8 Ball must have stayed with me, because pregnancy brain (or hurriedness) hit me Sunday. I parked my car at a metered spot (free Sundays) across the street from work (downtown) just before 9AM. Nearly 6Pm I return to my car to find the doors unlocked, and DH’s leather high school jacket, MP3s, everything exactly as I had left them. Wow, was I lucky! The MP3s are homemade, so while it would take time they can be replaced, but that jacket is the only one that actually buttons around my belly right now.
We watched the Academy Awards last night. I felt bad enough not keeping up with the political arena, so hearing about all these nominated movies that I never even heard of made me feel slightly worse. Guess I’ve been too busy reading about pregnancy, childbirth, and newborns to keep up with current affairs. Selfish, unpatriotic, out-of-touch, call me what you will. We just don’t go to the movies that often. Why spend $16 to watch a movie one time with noisy strangers when we can buy the movie, complete with special features, for $10 or less on DVD, and watch it in the comfort of our own quiet home as often as we like? Yes, we’ll choose a few movies we just have to see on the big screen (Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure, Indiana Jones), but we try to limit the number and go during/to the least expensive showing possible. DH and I used to get a ton of free preview tickets, so those were neat. Yes, you have to wait for an hour or more to see a movie to ensure you get in, and sometimes you wish you hadn’t wasted your time on the piece of junk, but it was free entertainment and sometimes we got to see movies we really wanted to see anyway, or were lukewarm about so glad we didn’t have to shell out any money. Anyway, most of the movies that one awards look like topics I wouldn’t care about, and some we knew we’d get on DVD eventually anyway (anything Disney, pretty much).
The Magic of the 8 Ball must have stayed with me, because pregnancy brain (or hurriedness) hit me Sunday. I parked my car at a metered spot (free Sundays) across the street from work (downtown) just before 9AM. Nearly 6Pm I return to my car to find the doors unlocked, and DH’s leather high school jacket, MP3s, everything exactly as I had left them. Wow, was I lucky! The MP3s are homemade, so while it would take time they can be replaced, but that jacket is the only one that actually buttons around my belly right now.
We watched the Academy Awards last night. I felt bad enough not keeping up with the political arena, so hearing about all these nominated movies that I never even heard of made me feel slightly worse. Guess I’ve been too busy reading about pregnancy, childbirth, and newborns to keep up with current affairs. Selfish, unpatriotic, out-of-touch, call me what you will. We just don’t go to the movies that often. Why spend $16 to watch a movie one time with noisy strangers when we can buy the movie, complete with special features, for $10 or less on DVD, and watch it in the comfort of our own quiet home as often as we like? Yes, we’ll choose a few movies we just have to see on the big screen (Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure, Indiana Jones), but we try to limit the number and go during/to the least expensive showing possible. DH and I used to get a ton of free preview tickets, so those were neat. Yes, you have to wait for an hour or more to see a movie to ensure you get in, and sometimes you wish you hadn’t wasted your time on the piece of junk, but it was free entertainment and sometimes we got to see movies we really wanted to see anyway, or were lukewarm about so glad we didn’t have to shell out any money. Anyway, most of the movies that one awards look like topics I wouldn’t care about, and some we knew we’d get on DVD eventually anyway (anything Disney, pretty much).





No comments:
Post a Comment