Friday, February 1, 2008

5 Weeks and Counting…

I had off today and yesterday, so while I slept in some, I did try to get in the nesting mood and do some cleaning, reorganizing, etc. Even DH is finally ready to move furniture into the nursery - if only he had more help. I did manage to prepare our taxes so hopefully we can get that taken care within the next few weeks, and updated the NestBaby's To-Do list. In the meantime, I have a mere 5 weeks to continue preparing for birth and the arrival of our bambino. On top of that my GM wants us to have the Baptism reception/party at our house so bambino isn't in a germ-filled restaurant or something, which means I need to prepare the house for about 20 guests. This is no small feat. Maybe I should take maternity leave early. Or, I could just wait until she arrives and have her do it all. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I knew this day was right around the corner, and now that it's here I'm proud of the fact that I'm not completely freaking out about it, esp. with all that still needs to be done. I guess b/c the important stuff is here and ready to go I'm fine, and everything else will work itself out. Besides, so much of what I'd do can't be done without help from others (hanging heavy pictures, moving items to storage, etc.), so really it's out of my control until DH, his family, or someone else can help.

Update: So later today I took some more boxes to storage and had to rearrange just to close the door. It's nowhere near full, just not very well organized. I bought some baby books (I have tons of children's books, just not baby specific) for half price at Borders, then finally unpacked the silver my GM sent me in June and washed it before putting it in a cabinet I cleared yesterday. FIL came over to help DH move the furniture into the nursery, then hung some pictures for added decoration. All except one were gifts to me in the past, but they fit perfectly with the theme. I then began to gather some books, mostly ones that DH and I grew up with, then the ones I bought today, wrote either my name (if it wasn't there already), DH's name, or " Children, Feb 2008". I think it will be special to our children to know which books they're reading that DH and I (or even our parents) read as children, and which ones were purchased for them, just as I showed him the numerous hand knitted or crocheted blankets that my relatives made for me. They don't mean anything to him, but it will mean a lot to me, and later our children, to know that a relative made those for my use, and now child gets to use it. DH showed FIL the closet full of clothes and discovered the Baptism outfit my mom and I both wore. The dresser in the nursery was my mom's, then mine, as is the toy chest, and the book shelves and night stands were mine throughout most of my childhood. There is also a full-bed and a desk, but we'll use those later.

DH transferred from our room to the nursery some Disney plush we got for free when we purchased the corresponding DVD at Best Buy. He's so cute. Sweet, too - he checked with me to make sure I wasn't attached to them or anything. I'm all for sharing most of my plush, but there are some pieces that are not to be drooled on.

Anyway, the house is starting to come along nicely, especially the nursery. It's a bit full, but we'll manage.




No comments: