Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What's the Point?

It's pretty much the same thing every year, but I believe it's getting worse. Every year, the Sunday before fall finals, SMU has its annual "Celebration of Lights" where there are singers, prayers, reading of the Christmas story, and of course lighting of candles, trees, and Dallas hall. The entire community is invited, and various campus organizations, mostly the fraternities and sororities, host some underprivileged children and take them to the reception afterwards where there is food, hot drinks, and Santa Claus. I attended every year with at least one friend during my years at SMU. I attended every year with at least one friend during my years at SMU. When DH asked me over Thanksgiving break what I wanted to do on our first date I asked him if he had ever gone, and since he hadn't I decided that would be a nice way to introduce him to it, especially as it would be our last one. Afterwards we went to The Cheesecake Factory and discussed our goals for the future.

Now we return every year - every year until this one even wearing the same outfit. We've broken a few traditions over the year, but this is one we've retained, with the exception of what we order at dinner. It is a nice time to reflect on our relationship and all that has happened to us during the past year, and of course ring in the Christmas season. So what's the problem? Most everyone else who attends. It would be beautiful if it wasn't for them.

So, what exactly are my problems?

1. For some reason this year they decided to have an "announcer" before everything - I felt as though I was at a ball game, not a semi-religious experience.
2. As we all know cell phones have become more prevalent through the years, but come on - pick a location to meet before going over, and if you haven't met up then wait until the event is over and call your friend(s) for the reception. Granted, I didn't hear any ringing this year, but the guy next to me was texting during parts of the event. And not talking should not be limited to cell phone - save that conversation for the reception, not during the Gospel reading.
3. Learn the program, or at least read it - okay, I'll give you the fact that it doesn't say when the lights will be turned on, but if you ask around you'll discover that the best is saved for last (usually when we sing "all is bright" during Silent Night). One family decided to leave and return when they heard the above mentioned announcer stating that the lights would be illuminated later in the program. If you just want to see the lights then come back tomorrow night, and the next until then new year.
4. Again, learn the program, or at least to go with the flow - we all receive candles and unite as a community by the school president lighting his candle then passing it on just before Silent Night. Every year it's the same thing - college kids cannot resist fire. Okay, yes, it helps to have some light to read the lyrics to the songs, fine, light the candles. But when the wind blows it out, we do not need a collective "Ohhh", ESPECIALLY during the invocation. Come on people, have some respect for the church.


So I ask you - what is the point of going to this uplifting celebration if you're not going to pay attention and appreciate it for what it's worth? As DH and I were walking around our alma mater the other night I realized that it was my first time on that campus pregnant, and our child's first time on the campus. While I'd be thrilled for him/her to go to Harvard/Yale/Stanford/where ever, it would be nice to have a family tradition at SMU. As I mentioned before, the COL is a special event for us, and considering that this was the 30th one I would think it would be one for most people, but apparently I was wrong.

Okay, that's me done venting for the day.

No comments: